Subwoofer cable suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_DC, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Phil: the higher the frequency, the more sensitive the signals are to the cable.

But subwoofer signals are the lowest of the low. These are the LEAST sensitive signals in your system. And your human hearing is best at about 10 Khz - so YOU are also very insensitve to subwoofer sounds.

And your receiver LFE port: these often have 4-6% THD. But they have gotten away with it for years because nobody noticed.

Do you really want to spend lots of money for the least-sensitive signals/most distorted signals in your system?

Now the Monster cables DO have one advantage: a very snug-fitting RCA plug. They are sometimes critized for this, but often when people claim a sub cable sounds different, it's because of the plug and not the coax.

My advice would be to get a good, but inexpensive cable like the AR brand, or a cable from one of the custom web-sites for your sub. Then find a local dealer for that Monster cable with a 30 day return policy and do your own A/B testing. Invite some friends over and make a party out of it (and gives you second/third opinions).

My Sub? I'm currently using a Monster 6 ft video cable. It fit the distance to my sub and was sitting in my spare-cable box. So while I appear to be a hypocrite, I did not go out and buy Monster for my sub. It was just left over and was the right length.

Good luck.

3. Newell

Newell Extra

Check out www.catcables.com. Doug is the owner. Nice guy. Their sub cable is killer and only about $35 for the first meter and another %4 to $5 for each additional meter.
    He also has an awesome coax digital interconnect cable.

4. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

Sub signals maybe the LEAST sensitive signals but it sure seems their the most susceptible to hum related problems.

I have a new M&K speaker system on order and getting an additional SVS sub to go with it. I was looking for the best cables possible to avoid any cable related problems.

However I do have two old Polks and they work fine with the cheap stuff so maybe the best is indeed overkill.

Thanks for the info

Newell,

Their sub cable looks real good specially since it's less than half the price of the ZBass cable

Thanks

5. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

you might not notice any improvement on the high dollar cables, I use either Monster or Tributaries, they cost more, but you spent big money on your system, why not spend a little on some quality cables, if nothing else they will last a long time!

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

you might not notice any improvement on the high dollar cables, I use either Monster or Tributaries, they cost more, but you spent big money on your system, why not spend a little on some quality cables, if nothing else they will last a long time! buying the cheap stuff is like having a Ferrari with cheap tires on it

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Bob,

uh-oh...

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer