Subwoofer cable -- short-term fix or long-term solution?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DarrenAlan, Nov 11, 2003.

1. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

[I apologize in advance for posting this here, but the Connections etc. Forum seems pretty dead and I haven't gotten any replies on the Audio Asylum's cables BBS.]

Recently bought an Adire Audio Rava subwoofer. I love the sound, but my wife wasn't too impressed by its large size.

So ... in the interest of marital harmony, I moved it to a corner where it not only is less obtrusive, but also sounds better. To do so, however, I needed a cable about 20' long instead of the 6' length of Canare L-77 (I think) that I bought a while back from Bluejeans Cable.

I had some almost brand-new RG-6 coax cable lying around, so for a short-term fix, I attached a RatShack gold-plated F-connector-to-RCA adapter on each end, plugged the new hybrid wire into my amp and sub, and voila! To be perfectly honest, I can't really tell the difference in sound quality and, given the location change, there's no way to A-B test the difference.

So my question is, is this a short-term patch until I can order a 20' length of better cable, or is this an acceptable solution in the long run? Thoughts would be appreciated!

P.S. I'm getting no ground loop hum, RFI, EMI, or any other nasties from this new set up, just good, tight, taut bass.

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, that solution will work just fine for the long term.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Until you break it, it's a long term solution. Very little is required of a sub cable after all, what does it have to do? Pass signals below about 120 Hz? Child's play.

4. Rick-S

Rick-S Agent

Darren,
    I posed the same exact question in the Tweaking/Cable forum on Sept 30th and according to Bob McElfresh (administrator), he advised to go with one cable rather than splitting it. Please read the link below.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=161553

Good Luck

5. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

If it ain't broke why fix it! Sounds like it is working well for you

6. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

As stated before under a similar topic, I use the Monster THX sub cable. I am well aware it has no sonic advantage.
    But it meets the wife factor by having a low profile, lots of flexibility for easy snaking along the wall, and is of a neutral color vs. just black or white. And it is of good construction, which is important for any cable. And I am not even a 'Monster' advocate, except in this particular application.

7. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all!