What's new

subwoofer cable same as digital audio cable? (1 Viewer)

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought several wires from Radio Shack and they did not have a subwoofer cable. Is a subwoofer cable made just for the sub, or can I use some other type of cable instead?

Thanks

Mike

BruceF

Auditioning
Your most likely subwoofer connection will just be with standard RCA cables. Some people feel that a subwoofer cable "accentuates the lows" but I really haven't heard a difference. That being said, you can use the same cable type as a digital audio cable - assuming you are not referring to optical (but mean RCA type cable).

BruceD

Screenwriter
Mike,

I assume you bought the Radio Shack AV cables (which are 75 Ohm) for use on video, digital audio, and analog audio.

Even if you bought the other RS audio cables (50 Ohm) they should be just fine for your sub connection, but don't use these cables for digital or video connections.

BruceD

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Depends. If you have a 'powered' sub and a 'line

level' (RCA type) plug for it on the receiver, just buy

an analog audio coax long enough with the correct fittings.

Now, tell us the truth, have you turned any of this stuff

on yet??

JRS

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Digital coax=Video cable

Video cable can be used for any type of audio as well,there is no such thing is a "subwoofer" cable,it's just a single ended [rca]audio cable, that's all.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure before I went back to the store.
Jim, honestly, everything is sitting in the boxes on the living room floor!! I am a perfectionist, so I must have everything I need before I begin putting it together. Still waiting on some stands I ordered so it won't be till next week. :frowning:

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Good luck! I have had an HT system for about a year now,

and its lots of fun.

A couple of tips:

1) If you are installing a 'powered sub', set all speakers

to 'small', and send the 'lows' to the sub.

2) If the sub is 'bottom firing', place it on a solid floor

or on a piece of 5/8" plywood. Marble is best. A 'bottom

firing' sub sounds terrible on a thick carpet.

3) If you don't like the sound from the sub, just change your main

speakers to 'large', then only the 'effects' will go to the

sub.

JRS

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the tip on placing bottom firing subs on a solid surface. I didn't know that. What an easy tweek. I'll do it right now on wood until I can get a slab of something else. Again thanks.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
While you can use just about any analog ( e.g. RCA audio cable either twisted pair or coax design) or video cable ( coax cable)as a subwoofer cable interconnect. Some do sound better than others. If you are a perfectionist may I suggest a sub cable that uses Teflon as its dielectric. You should notice improved pitch definition and tighter bass. Got rid of that bloated bass I was getting with the Monster cables. I replaced the Monster sub cables I had with the RhinoCables.com interconnect and the improvement was definately there. Its reasonably priced too. Others who sell similar cable but use more expensive connectors are Boldercables and Diycables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks