What's new

Subwoofer cable question (1 Viewer)

David_Wong

Auditioning
Forgive my ignorance - I'm an HT newbie. I've just purchased my first HT system and I have a question about the subwoofer cable I bought.

The cable consists of two pieces, a regular 6 meter cable and a "Y" cable with one female connector to two male connectors.

How am I supposed to use this Y connector?

Right now, I am using the regular cable to connect the subwoofer out of my receiver to the sub-in of my subwoofer.

I have a related question: I have read in several places that the "direct mode", or "source mode" that bypasses much of the processing of the receiver is best for listening to stereo recordings. I would like to use that when I listen to CDs which I do 90% of the time. However, on my receiver, that bypasses the bass management as well such that I don't get any sound from the subwoofer when in this mode.

I know I can use the speaker-level inputs to the sub instead, but I would then lose the LFE .1 channel sound when watching DVDs.

Is there a way to hook up my system such that I get subwoofer working when in "direct mode", and have the LFE working when watching DVDs, without having to re-wire the system in between?

Thanks in advance!

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
You did not mention your sub, however a lot have a left and right sub input. They are usually summed to mono. with that Y adapter you can put in in line with the sub cable and sub. Sub cable male end into female of Y connector and the two male Y connectors to the left and right input into the sub. Once you do this you may have to turn down the gain on the sub to have it at the same level because of the increased signal. However there is no audible advantage to use the Y adapter over the straight cable.

You are right direct mode will disable the bass management. To use the sub in direct mode you would need to attach it with speaker level inputs. You would then set your mains to large and while watching a movie they would received the .1 info which would be produced from the sub.

What equipment are you running? Someone with a similar set up might be able to give better advise.

David_Wong

Auditioning
Lee:

thanks for your response.

I am running:
Athena AS-P400
Athena 2x AS-B2, AS-C1, 2x AS-B1
Onkyo sr501 soon to be replaced by Marantz 7300 (ordered it yesterday).

The AS-P400 does not have L&R sub-inputs, but does have L&R speaker level inputs.

I am going to try your suggestion of putting the sub between the receiver and speakers as soon as I figure out my sub placement and getting some extra speaker wires and banana plugs.

I guess I cut up my 100 ft roll too soon! :)

Thanks again!

P.S. I am assuming you cannot use the subwoofer cable to make the speaker level connections? I guess I should've considered this before buying the sub cable but how was I to know?

Also, will I be bypassing the amp in the sub when I use speaker level connections? I ask because the signal from the receiver is already amplified. It would be a shame not to make use of the subwoofer amplifier if I choose to connect this way.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
David,

Simply use the subwoofer cable without the y-adapter on it. Connect one end from you sub out on your receiver and connect the other end to the Direct In on the back of your Athena sub. This will bypass the sub's internal crossover and only use the bass management built into your receiver. There's no need to connect the sub with speaker level connections.

Ben_Ly

Agent
I had a similiar question. I have one sub output on my receiver, but I have two places (red and white) on the sub where I can plug it into. Does it really matter which one I plug it into or if I use a Y adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks