1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer cable Help...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kiet, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Just bought the JMLab Electra SW900 sub. Very happy with it right now. I am using a normal coaxial cable to connect to the LFE channel to AV receiver.
    Want to upgrade to a good quality subwoofer cable.
    Any suggestion. I am willing to spend up to US$150 for a 16 ft cables.
    Anyone have good advice on which one to buy??? Which sounds the best???
    I am thinking of Qed (silver reference), Cobalt sub cable, Monster M series. Any others???

Hope someone can help.

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The subwoofer cable doesn't have a particularly hard job to do; the bandwidth of the signal is pretty narrow.

I think termination quality and proper cable shielding is more important than anything else. You don't want the cable picking up stray hum, or the connectors fitting poorly or coming loose.

Any decent cable will do fine, and I don't think you need to spend $150 US to accomplish the above.

Something along these lines will run you about $60 for 16 feet:

http://signalcable.com/subcable.html

3. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

do you think I will be able to get a more solid bass with a better cable, and I am able to tell the difference?
    Because I just want to get a really good one and never get one again for a very long time.
    I don't want to waste my money if i can't hear the difference.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Again, the sub signal is low frequency and narrow bandwidth; not hard for any even el cheapo Radio Shack $10 RCA cable to carry. Build construction - quality connectors and decent shielding is what matters to me in a sub cable.

I honestly don't think you will get a significant audible difference in bass sound quality between a variety of sub cables. Maybe other forum members can chime in with their experiences here.

5. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Check out the Acoustic Research cables...

Very well made. Great Price.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

7. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

I have just ordered the Cobalt subwoofer cable. The service was great and the delivery was resonable for US$10 for international delivery.
    The 90 days money back guarantee convinced me to give it a try, I have nothing to lose, so why not.
    i will tell you how it performs. Can't wait for it now.

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I think these things are all relative. I have a friend of mine who's obsessed with cabling.
    He has $1000 cable running all over the place. For what little improvment he's getting from his cabling the room he's got all this equipment in is an accoustic disaster.
    I'll bet he could get more performance from his theater if he spent that money on improving his accoustics.
    All to often people blame wires or speakers when their theater rooms are at fault.

9. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

Look into the Transparent sub cable. It should make a difference and I think it is right around your budget

10. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

That would be Transparent Audio

11. Pete_M3

Pete_M3 Agent

I agree with the other posters who have said that the sub cable is probably the least critical cable in the system, given the low frequencies it has to carry. Audio cables, and then video cables, carry increasingly higher frequencies, and those cables need to be very low loss and well-shielded.

for those who want to spend less than Kiet, bluejeanscable.com (a forum sponsor) has non-esoteric, high quality cables for reasonable prices. For good prices on AR cables, accessories4less.com has closeouts.