Subwoofer cable...extension?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mirko, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Mirko

Mirko Agent

I will be buying an HSU VTF2 in the near future, as soon as they have a B unit, actually.

Although my sub will be fairly close to my receiver, by the time I go up the wall, thru the attic and down the wall and to the sub, it's around 30'. I am unable to find an RCA cable that long. Can I use an extension? Is it just "one" RCA cable that is used to hook up a sub instead of a pair? Do I need anything special due to the length?

Thanks in advance,

Mirko

2. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Many users on this forum have used coax cable with great sucess. RG-59 should be sufficient though some prefer RG-6. You also need a pair of F female to RCA male adapters.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I just went to my local hi fi shop and had them cut me a 40' cable. Ran about a $1 a foot. It is mit cable and they just put ends on it for me. You may want to try your local shops and see if they have any wire availabe. I might not need mine but it will be a couple months before I decide....so you probably don't want to wait that long.

4. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Mirko,

the RG-6 or RG-59 cables suggested here are the way to go...

my input here is that you make sure the final location of your sub is exactly where you want before running in-wall wiring.

without listening (and measuring outputs) first, you may not be satisfied with a room location selected by looks only. (sorry if you've already thot about this...)

bill