Subwoofer Cable Does it matter....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Cal, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

I have a 25ft AR sub cable that in order to get it out of the walking area I will have to string along the base boards and around a couple of corners. I will have to bend the cable around a few corners . Do you think this will impact on the sound in any way.

Thanks
    Bob

2. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

no

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think you'll be fine although I'd probably be looking at seeing if I could run it under the floor (assuming there's a basement) or through the walls.

4. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

It is in the basement and impossible to run under floors, and walls would be difficult. I have to run around a couple of corners and along baseboard and it looks like about 14 ninety degree bends if I go that way. I will have to see if I can come up with something creative.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Short Answer: Dont worry about the bends.

Long Answer: When you get to the higher and higher frequencies (We are talking MegaHz here) the cable impedence becomes important to avoid reflections in the cable. Too many tight bends in a video cable, or more than 4 ninety-degree bends in a 100 Mhz Cat5 network cable and you CAN have problems.

Subwoofer frequencies are the lowest of the low. They dont even worry about specifying the cable impedence because at these frequencies - it just does not matter.

To give you analogy, think of how important your car windshield is at:

- 5 mph (subwoofer frequencies)
    - 200 mph (video/computer frequencies)

You dont need/care about a windshield in the low-speed situation. Just like you dont need/care about reducing the number of bends in a coax cable for a subwoofer.

Just dont run the cable near power wires, or in parallel with power if you can avoid it. And dont pull the cable tight around corners, just do gentle bends and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.