Subwoofer Cable - coax?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by craig_curtis, Feb 9, 2004.

1. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    I read in another thread that subwoofer cables are coax cables? I was under the impression that they were simply a straight through cable (like a speaker cable - well half of it anyway). does it have to be coax to work?

i didn't think they were coax? now i'm confused!

thanks

2. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

It depends on whether the sub is active (it's own internal amp) or passive (driven by external amp, like you AV receiver).

An active sub is connected via a co-ax cable, rather like the audio interconnects round the back of your stereo. A passive sub is connected via speaker wire. Sometimes, a sub can be connected in series or parrallel with both the left and right speakers. The sub has a cross-over and only outputs the bass.

3. craig_curtis

Craig
    it is an active sub. JBL-PB10. what i did was run a "true" subwoofer cable in-wall to the rear of the room, where the sub will be placed. The cable is terminated (on both ends) at a wall plate. What I was looking for was a sub cable that was at most 6 feet long.

I need two of them (one from receiver to wallplate #1, then one from wallplate #2 to sub). So i was thinking I could get a decent stereo cable (the kind that both ends have a RCA connector - and there is a red and white set) - and split them and use the red for #1 and the white for #2. Does that make sense?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That'll work great.

5. craig_curtis

Craig
    great.. thanks for the help, it'll save quite a bit o' cash!

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Just be sure that you are not buying "Patch Cables" that have thin wires like walkman headphone wires.

Almost all good audio interconnects should be as thick (if not thicker) than your CATV coax. Yes, they are made from coax.

Another thing: as a personal observation (not aggreed upon by others), subwoofers seem to like tight-fitting connections. Make sure your cables have a good grip on the connectors.

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah that would work fine, just make sure as stated previously that the cables are made from some sort of coax, for a sub it doesnt really matter what type it is.