Subwoofer Buzzing Away-Help!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tim L, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I just hooked up my sub and gear into my new house and everything was great untill my subwoofer starting emitting a rather annoying buzz- and when you touch the knobs in the back it grows somewhat louder. The sub is a Mirage BPS-400 with 2-12" woofers- so I am usiing amonster cable with a Y-adapter-pluged into the L-R inputs and the other end is pluged into the sub output on the receiver. The sub is plugged into the same outlet as the other gear which is hooked up to a monster HTSP-5100. I tried hoking it up into the monster power center but it still hums- I tried hooking it up without the y-Adapter (just plugging it into the Left input) and it still hums. The space is tight and I have no other option but to plug it into the same outlet. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Also is it common to have the sub make a loud thump every time you plug and unplug it in? thanks again
    Tim

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if you've got cable going to the TV, unplug it and see if that takes care of your problem. in other words, the cable coming in will be hooked up to nothing. post back.

3. MikeTrotter

MikeTrotter Agent

Like Chu said.Does the sub still hum when there are no inputs connected?If no,try a better sub cable.If yes,you will have to try another outlet.Also try taking sub to another room and plug into outlet(no inputs).If hum is still there,it must be an internal problem with sub.

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

The cable is a top of line monster ( I know some may snicker but it seems pretty solid-got a good deal) anyway I don't even have a cable line installed into my house yet. I could try to plug it inot another outlet- but it is not an option while watching a movie- there is only one outlet on that wall. I've heard some mention a cheater plug- what exactly is that? thanks for the info-anymore suggestions appreciated
    tim