subwoofer buzz - why?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by peter_i, Aug 31, 2005.

1. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

I've already read the other posts on sub buzz which were informative but my problem is that yes, I have the buzz - ha ha - but it goes away once I stamp on the floor. could this still be cured by using a ground loop isolater or a cheater plug as they say? What is a cheater plug btw? I have a 3 pronged plug on my powered sub. Any help is appreciated due to my downstairs neighbours going bananas with the sound. thx!!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That doesn't sound like ground loop, that's a loose connection (inside or outside) or a bad cable.

3. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

and that could inevitably cause the hum that I'm hearing? I only usually hear it while playing music and normally at lower volumes and almost never during movies which I find odd. Hope it's only the cable. SHould I buy a heavy duty one or will an OK one work just as well?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    An OK one should work as well. You should be able to swap in another analog cable from your system that you know works to test it out without buying anything. What sources (DVD, CD, etc...) are you using and how are they connected for audio to the receiver? If it only happens on music, it may be something else.

Ground loop hum tends to be present all the time, whether you are playing something or not, when you have a source that is causing this, and stopming your foot on the floor usually would not fix it, which is why I don't think that's what it is.

5. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

I have 2 dvd players and a satellite reciever hooked up to the stereo reciever along with a VCR that isn't hooked up at present. I'll try swapping cables(if I have one that's long enough) and see how that works out. Yes, again, it's only on music that it starts humming and even when the stereo is off, it will start humming quite often in intervals.

6. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

It does sound like a loose connection. To demonstrate this, if you pull the connection halfway out on a normal sub, You will hear a buzz.

7. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

so you think I should try replugging the sub cables back into both the sub and the reciever, Rob?

8. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

well, well, there u go. Replugged the cables and everything good as new.
    thanks guys.