Subwoofer Behind RPTV and Shieilding Issues

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GregBe, Aug 7, 2003.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I just purchased a Sub, and will be placing BEHIND my 50" Hitachi RPTV in the corner which is also in the corner. It will be placed VERY close to the back of the tv.
    Is this OK? If I physically don't see any discolorations or distortions, do I need to worry about it?
    Unfortunately, this is just about the only place in the room that will make sense.
    Any help will be appreciated

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have the same corner setup and have been considering placing my sub in the corner behind the set. I've been more concerned that the set being in front of the sub might muffle the bass somehow.

Hope someone chimes in on this.

3. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

It won't muffle the bass to put your sub behind the TV. A sound wave will bend around a surface that is smaller than 1/2 the wavelength of the sound. Bass frequencies have wavelenghs longer than 10 feet, so there isn't be anything to worry about. On the other hand, if you put a center channel speaker or some other full range speaker behind there, some of the midrange and all of the high frequencies would be blocked and would bounce around causing very indistinct and muffled sound.
    As far as the magnetic interaction, 3 gun CRT projectors (most rear projections) are not suseptible to the discoloration that direct views are. There might be a possibility that it could pull your geometry and convergence out of allignment, but I don't know for sure. I've never wanted to risk my convergence to find out. Maybe Gregg could shed some light on this.

Chad

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've got one sub on each side of my rptv, right up next to the set, and have seen no problems with convergence nor any discoloration. One is a downfiring Klipsch and the other's a front firing Yamaha (don't ask, I know that's a weird combination).

I've long been toying with putting the Klipsch behind the set.