Subwoofer and rear center help please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jan 16, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm dual posting this here and in the speaker division, just not sure where I'll get the quicker response:

I'm setting up my surround tonight and need to decide on some speakers. Currently I have a polk center channel w/ 2 drivers, 2 polks in front & 2 jbls in the rear (someday I'll get rear polks).

Regarding the rear center channel: Should I duplicate the front center polk, or wait until there is compelling software? I don't know if I have any titles that would utilize the 6.1 capabilities of my receiver/speakers. Someone else says I don't need a center channel for the rear center, and I can just use another JBL, true?

Regarding the subwoofer, I can get a 10" Velodyne powerred sub for $279 open box. My other choices would be a sealed 10" Velodyne for $399, or an 8" for $299. Also I could get a 10" Polk for $349 or an 8" Polk for $249.

I was a bit surprised about the cost of subwoofers in general - simply because I'm new at this, so any recommendations regarding cost and performance would be appreciated. The salesman seemed to recommend the Velodyne even though my other speakers are Polk, but I think HTF has more experts than they do..

Let me know Thanks!

Also - should I pick up an optical cable to run from my DVD to my receiver? What should I look at spending on that?

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

IMO just wait on the rear center. You could move the front 3 Polks to the rear and get new Polks for the front.

If you want to, you could just get another JBL for the rear center, but what are you going to do with that after you upgrade?

The Velo. at $280 is probably a pretty good value. If you're going to spend $400 look at the Adire Audio Rava. A little more will get you the Hsu VTF-2, which is widely regarded as the best sub under $500.

Don't ever worry about matching a sub's brand with the speaker brand. It makes no difference whatsoever.

Spend $15-$20 on an optical cable.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Thank you. I picked up the 10" Velodyne CT100. I'm VERY happy with the system. I'm still not sure if the rear center requires a full center channel, or if it can use just another JBL (I have 2 to spare) speaker. I'm waiting if it requires another center, but if it doesn't I may as well hook up my JBL.

4. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Match all of the rear surrounds.

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yeah, best bet is to match all the surrounds. You certainly don't have to use another actual center channel as the rear center. It's just that if you're setting up for 6.1, alot of manufacturers don't sell individual speakers, so you see alot of packages that have an extra center added.
    If the center is MTM design, that is not optimum, IMO.
    If you've got the spare JBL's laying around, use them by all means!! [​IMG]

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer