What's new

Subwoofer amplifier and wiring (1 Viewer)

HowardCanning

Auditioning
Ok I have my DIY sub being powered from one channel of a Technics stereo integrated amplifier. I think it delivers 100Watts per channel, which is less than this sub can handle. Is there any way I would go about "bridging" the amplifier and connecting my receiver's sub output to both the right and left channels to get more power?

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
Unless the amp say's you can bridge it, you can't.
Is it a dual voice coil sub? If it is than you can connect each channel on the receiver to a seperate voice coil on the sub.

HowardCanning

Auditioning
It's not a DVC sub. I'm sure I heard somewhere about some method of "bridging" non bridgeable amps. Oh well.

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
I'm sure I heard somewhere about some method of "bridging" non bridgeable amps. Oh well.
I'm sure there is a way to do it, it would just involve taking the amp apart and changing things. :D If you find a way to do it please post it I'm sure there would be lots of people like myself that would be interested.:emoji_thumbsup:

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator

Doesnt this damage the speaker? i thought i heard something about different signals being sent to the voice coils or something...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I never cease to be amazed at the number of people asking this question. There is a simple reason why manufacturers did not make provisions for bridging stereo receiver and integrated amps: It would be pretty useless as a stereo component if it’s running mono, wouldn’t it?

All you need to do is drive the inputs out of phase and connect to the positive speaker terminals. However, unless the amps were designed to operate in stereo at half the impedance you will be using bridged, you can expect this experiment to have an unhappy – perhaps spectacular - ending.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Doesnt this damage the speaker? i thought i heard something about different signals being sent to the voice coils or something...
You would actually be sending the same signal by using a splitter on the inputs of the receiver. This would make a stereo receiver strictly a sub amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks