What's new

Subwoofer Amp is Hot...Is this Normal??? (1 Viewer)

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:

Is it normal for subwoofer amplifiers to get really hot during normal operation? I have a Paradigm PW2200 version 2 and I noticed that the amplifier gets very hot. By hot I mean you can barely stand to keep your hand on the amplifier back plate for any length of time. I also noticed that the amplifier stays very warm after it has been off for a while (12 hours or so). I am not really pushing the sub as the gain is set below half.
The PW2200 v2 does have a 400 watt RMS 1500 watt peak amplifier, so I was wondering if this was normal operation for a subwoofer amplifier. I do know that the earlier version of the PW2200 had heat fins on the amplifier while version 2 does not have heat fins.

Cheers..John

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I don't know how much this will help you, but my old sub, probably about 3-4 years old now (lost count) used to get EXTREMELY hot. If you touched it, it would burn your hands, and I have never had any air conditioning or coolers in my rooms so the summers would almost over-heat it. Anyway, it still played perfectly, but just a few months ago, it started giving out. What I mean is that If it's "On" for a period of time, it won't play any more bass. Now, I have it on Auto mode, and it works perfect, but if I leave it on "On" after a few hours it will completely stop playing, but still be "on."

I think that after all these years the heat did damage it. It took a pretty long time though.

Now that I have my SVS 16-46 pci, it NEVER gets hot. Not even in the summer. Strange....

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
My M&K MX100 never gets hot even if I push it hard for an hour or 2. I left it on constantly and the heatsink is cool when it's not playing. Sounds like there is a problem with your PW2200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks