What's new

Subwoofer advice (1 Viewer)

I needed some advice on a subwoofer purchase. The sub I was thinking of going with is the Definitive Technology Pro Sub 100TL (cost $416 from a local dealer). I've been reading some good opinions on Audio Review about the Acoustic Research PR1212 (250 W, 12" down-firing with 12" passive front firing, cost $288 on-line) and the Audio source SW12 or 15 (cost $149 and $199, respectively on-line).

I have Athena AS-F1 floor-standings for fronts, Athena AS-B1 rears and a AS-C1 center powered by an Onkyo TX-SR800 receiver. The As-F1's produce very good bass for music. My listening room is 12x18. I'm looking for a sub for both music and HT.

Any advice on the above subs are any other suggestions would be helpful. I don't want to spend more than $400 to $450, but if I can save some money that would be great to.
;)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I would also check with www.onecall.com

They often have closeout/sales on various subs in the $500 range. I've seen the VEL fsx1200 for like $549 online recently, but I can't remember the site offhand. A search might turn it up though.Might be another to consider.

Tom V.
SVS

Eric C D

Second Unit
Kevin and Chris

You are both where I was a couple of years ago - looking at $350 to $400 to spend on subs. I originally came away totally unsatisfied, because for that price I could get "thump," but I thought the woofers on my main speakers sounded better. If you are looking for "thump," you can get it at that price range at a store, but I figured I'd have to spend over $1,000 to get the sound I was looking for.

After looking around and reading a lot of the messages at places like these, several options avaialable online that, from listening to all the feedback, all seem to be great.

The three that tend to get mentioned the most are Adire, Hsu, and SVS (the "V" in SVS has already offered some non-self-serving suggestions). I'd suggest you read all the comments you can find about these three, look up the applicable websites, and then choose what you can fit into yoru budget, or consider saving just a little more to get into a really high-quality answer.

Chris, If you really are budget-limited, look at the kits from Adire. Maybe you can enlist some outside help, and have a fun time as well.

To both, enjoy!

Eric

P.S. If you're looking for direct suggestions, I'm an SVS convert. But you would either have to save a little more (it's what I did, and I do NOT regret it one bit) or consider an unpowered sub and find an old amp - a popular suggestion round these parts a while back. Let me add to that - not only do I not regret the decision, at this time it's the only piece of my home theater for which the only upgrade I'd consider would be one of the more expensive options from the same manufacturer. I like the entire experience of dealing with them so much they have bought my business.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin how are the athenas? Sorry for posting this in your topic but iam thinking of buying a pair, and was wondering how they are treating you.

I've had the AS-F1's for about a week now so they are being broken in. They sound great!! High, mids, lows!!! I've been listening to music so far (rock, jazz, some country) and I have no complaints. I could probably go without a sub for music; they have a very good bottom end. Got them for $420 shipped from Audio Advisor . I have not bought the AS-B1's or AS-C1 yet (in a couple of weeks). I read somewhere on this forum that Best Buy is going to start carrying Athena's in April.

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
If you haven't ruled out the Audiosource SW12 and SW15 yet, do so now. I've owned an SW15 for about 2 years now. Nothing but trouble. I know they look good on paper. They do thump very hard for the price when they work, but are very inaccurate for music. I've had to get the amp fixed twice now. If it goes out again, I will have spent as much in repairs as I payed for the sub in the first place. Terrible piece of equipment. It will soon be replaced by something that is at least worth the space it takes up in my livingroom.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
For $300, I always recommend the Energy 8" sub to my friends. It's now called the 8.2. They all love it, and it goes in the living room with the main system.

I have had 3 subs so far, jbl, velo and now svs. I can tell you hands down the svs sub is the best I have owned or heard in anyones HT setup.

cheers!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
I understand not much beats the SVS and it's up there in price for some of us, so another option would be to DIY- something like a 250W amp from PartsExress.com (right now at $112 and free shipping), a good driver (about a $100 or so), make or buy a sub cabinet (another $100 or so), some other parts that many here could help you out with (maybe spiked feet, poly, whatever) and put yourself together a nice little sub for the money. Still not an SVS though, from what I understand, but that's not what your looking for either- not yet...right? Otherwise, I agree with Eric C D on that point.

Also, I know that PartsExpress has a $359.00 sub kit with free shipping that I've read good things about, but others say that DIY will get more bang for the buck even than this one. What do you guys think? This is the link

Adam, I'm not surprised to hear about your bad experience with the SW 15 but many here have been pretty happy with their's after mods- some did more mods than others- even changing the amp and driver -which makes no sense to me to go that far for a budget sub. Anyway, sorry to hear about the bad times with that sub.

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
LOL! Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a bad sub after you change the driver and amp. It is a pretty well built box :D

For the price ($200US), I don't think the SW15 is a bad value as far as price to impact goes. But I think there is much better out there for about the same price or maybe just a little more money. You still get what you pay for and when you're talking 15" sub, 250 watt amp for $200, you know they're cutting corners somewhere.

I think the guys that are steering toward the SVS subs are the way to go for this price range.

yung cheng

Grip
I bougt DT prosub 100 ($399 from magnolia Hifi) and polk psw-350 ($199 from Fry's) for comparision before.
Even pro100 claims 250W & go down much lower(2?hz) than polk
(3?hz), when i play test tone w/ SPL meter at home polk just goes down lower & blends better with my mains and you do hear big noise from pro100 in high volumn due to cone movement friction. so i return pro100& keep psw-350.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
I've posted this before, but one of the best values for a sub right now is the Infinity IL120s, the sub has been discontinued and you can get great prices on them. If you use the RABOS kit, you won't be disappointed.

Phil

Mitch Crawford

Auditioning
Still looking for that sub, Kevin?

I have owned about 5 different subs over the past 7 years. To me, powered subs are like girlfriends. Some are great and some are really not worth the time and money. I had gone through the likes of Yamaha, Infinity, Polk, M&K, and one Velodyne. Each had it's own unique problem.
I now run a Klipsch KSW12 in my theater. Best bang for the buck. I payed $278.00 for mine and I think it is the best deal I have come across in a long time.
While it is not a top notch unit, I am able to run it like a champ. I TRY to beat this thing up and it begs for more. Buy one, you will see. If you are in the market for a very loud and pretty accurate sub, this could be the one for you.
Now for the bad news. I have turned more than 30 of my friends on to KSW12's and KSW15's. Some of these folks have had very Sirius problems. I on the other hand, have been very pleased with my sub.
Check one out and see what you think. Take care, Kevin!

Mitch Crawford.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
I say get the adire rava and don't worry about upgrading for a while. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks