subwoofer advice needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherW, May 25, 2002.

1. ChristopherW

ChristopherW Agent

Ok, I've seen this topic beaten to death, but i just wanted to get everyones opinion. I'm in the market for a sub 300 dollar sub. So far I've seen the JBL PB12. Has anyone had any experience with the Yamaha sw320? Should I save for a Hsu vst-2? Is it hard to DIY with no experience? Any and all opinion would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The hardest part about DIY is the wood working. If you took shop in junior high or high school you should have more than enough knowledge to do it. After that is access to tools. If you have to buy the tools the cost savings go out the window. If you don't you'll be amazed at what you get for the money.

Almost no real knowledge of how a sub works is required to build a sub if you pick a proven design and follow the recipe.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My recommendation is to consider saving an extra $80-100 and get the JBL Studio 12 subwoofer.
    This puts all the subs you listed to shame in output and quality. The Yamaha is a space conserving and boomy sounding. The PB12 can't handle as deep as bass and as loud as volumes w/o distortion or noticeable port air noise.
    The HSU is in another ball park along with the SVS which would be more expensive but probably better sounding. (I havn't compared a HSU or SVS)
    I find the JBL S1209ii to be a good compromise between the $300 and $500 subs. The sub is better than all $300 subs I can think of and not far behind some of the better $500 subs.
    Just so u know, I have a 15" DIY tempest which is what I would do if you have the time and tools. I would estimate about $350-400 for a NICE vented 250w tempest.

4. ChristopherW

ChristopherW Agent

Thanks for the advice...I'll see if I can get help from a friend with some woodworking experience and get him to help me DIY ...or I guess I'll save some more money...

5. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

I´d stay away from the pb12. I heard of 5 instances of blowm amp with this sub. I friend of mine have 2 blown amps in less than 5 days.

6. Cindy B

Cindy B Extra

I have the Adire Rava - got it in March, and boy was it worth the wait. $399 plus shipping. I highly recommend it.

7. ChristopherW

ChristopherW Agent

I know this is a home theater forum, so I know all reccomendations will be oriented toward HT, but will these subs also be suited to music? i'm running B&W 602s2 for my mains.

8. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Marcelo,
    There may be a "DUH!"-type response to my question, but just exactly HOW did your friend blow his PB-12? See, I've got this sub ordered and more than occasionally I see a response such as yours. I mean, was he really lifting the lid off his home or appt. with volume when it blew or what? What type of receiver or amp is he using, etc ... Two in less than FIVE DAYS seems a little extreme.
    (And I just re-read my wording .. this is *not* meant any other way than to glean some information! [​IMG] )
    Thanks!

9. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

William,
    No, it was on normal use on the first, the second one simply went dead on the next day. He can´t play that loud: 1. He lives in a apartment 2. He uses a denon 1800, that really can´t put the kind of volume necessary to blow a 250w sub (and if it can, than there´s no way the sub have 250w [​IMG] ). There´s must be some sort of bad batch with this sub. If I can remember, the previous JBL line have the same kind of problem.
    Don't get me wrong though, I like jbl speakers (have a s-series HT, as 5 of my friends throgh my recommendation), but this sub seems to be a little too prone to problems for my taste.
    He has now a yamaha 320 and is very happy with that unit.

10. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

I emailed Harman about the problems with the amps in the PB12 before I purchased mine. They said that the design was changed and that all of the problems with the earlier models have been resolved. Just purchase from an authorized dealer and you have no worries. I got mine from J&R for $299 delivered.
    As far as the reciever "blowing" it, that seems highly unlikely, as the amp is in the sub itself. As long as the receiver is sending a clean signal, you won't have any problems.

11. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Cindy,

So you like the Adire Rava huh?

Chances are I may be going for this as well. I was told it was geared more towards music (which I will listen to a bit more anyway) yet still sounds pretty good for HT use.

12. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

John,
    Thanks. I do have my sub ordered from J&R for the same price [​IMG]
    Can't wait to get it!