Subwoofer 1-2 = L-R on Onkyo 989?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Schiller, Oct 12, 2001.

1. David_Schiller

I have a Tributaries cable with L-R RCA Connectors, a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer with L-R inputs, and an Onkyo 989 that has two subwoofer outputs labelled 1 & 2. The manual says that the output to PRE OUT SUBWOOFER 1 and PRE OUT SUBWOOFER 2 is the same. Should I (A) connect the L-R cable to my subwoofer and BOTH outputs on the Onkyo, or (B) use only PRE OUT 1 and a Y-connector?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I'd just use one cable and a splitter(if you felt the split was needed).
    TV

3. David_Schiller

The Tributaries cable is just one cable, but it has both a L and a R wire & connectors. I was told once that if I use both the L and R inputs on the subwoofer, then I would gain 3dB, but I believe this is only if my receiver's output is L and R to the subwoofer ("1" and "2" on the Onkyo??).

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

You might gain some voltage related volume. This would be the same as turning up the volume knob(on the sub,or in the receiver's subwoofer leveler menu).
    You won't increase the output capability of the subwoofer though(unless...for some very odd reason the voltage being sent to the subwoofer amp if too low to push it to max capability).
    Sometimes using a splitter can help with the auto-on stuff too,
    TV