What's new

subtitles/text on widescreen/squeeze sets (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I was watching Mad Max's trivia text commentary the other day while watching the movie on my non-HDTV-ready 4:3 Toshiba set with no squeeze (i.e. I was watching it letterboxed) and I noticed that it put the text mostly in either the top or bottom black bar. This got me thinking, when you do the squeeze on a 4:3 set, where does it put the text? It seems to me that it would block more of the image if you were either watching a text commentary or subtitles of the actual dialogue. I guess the same would be true on a widescreen set. Is this true? I'm just curious what people's experiences are with this.

thanks,

--tom

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Thomas,

When you set the dvd player for 16/9 tvs, the subtitles are moved out of the black bar area into the picture area on a 1:85 movie, sometimes still appear in the black bar or both in the bar and over the picture on 2:35 films.

Except for foreign films I usually only turn on the subtitles when listening to commentary tracks. Not too distracting imho.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Steve. It was just one of those things/questions that popped into my head while watching a text commentary.

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks