subtitles/text on widescreen/squeeze sets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Jul 9, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I was watching Mad Max's trivia text commentary the other day while watching the movie on my non-HDTV-ready 4:3 Toshiba set with no squeeze (i.e. I was watching it letterboxed) and I noticed that it put the text mostly in either the top or bottom black bar. This got me thinking, when you do the squeeze on a 4:3 set, where does it put the text? It seems to me that it would block more of the image if you were either watching a text commentary or subtitles of the actual dialogue. I guess the same would be true on a widescreen set. Is this true? I'm just curious what people's experiences are with this.

thanks,

--tom

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Thomas,

When you set the dvd player for 16/9 tvs, the subtitles are moved out of the black bar area into the picture area on a 1:85 movie, sometimes still appear in the black bar or both in the bar and over the picture on 2:35 films.

Except for foreign films I usually only turn on the subtitles when listening to commentary tracks. Not too distracting imho.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks Steve. It was just one of those things/questions that popped into my head while watching a text commentary.

cheers,

--tom