What's new

subtitles on widescreen displayes (1 Viewer)

Jeff Lawrence

Auditioning
i was wondering for those people with anamorphic or widescreen displays, do the necessary subtitles on dvd's that are placed in the black bar region bother you? i was just watching crouching tiger last night, and this struck me as quite strange. the english subtitles were placed in the black bar region, which would be gone on a widescreen tv ... strange ...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If you're watching an anamorphic DVD, though, it won't be cut off, since the player will adjust the position of the subtitles. It's only a potential problem on widescreen/non-anamorphic images.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The best example I have seen of subtitles being cut off is on the Star Trek VI Undiscovered Country disc
Because the image is non-anamorphic, you have to zoom in to fill the image on a widescreen TV, cutting of the subtitles.
Its annoying, and Paramount should know better.
Simon

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
The subtitles are placed different, according to the DVD player configuration. If set to 4:3 TV, the subtitles will be in the black bars, if set to 16:9 they will be inside the picture. This goes for both anamorphic and non-anamorphic DVD's.
However, some non-anamorphic DVD's still have inproper subtitle placement, so that they are in the black area, and are cut of by widescreen TV's, The Abyss and The Thing comes to mind.
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Craig

Second Unit
If your player has a picture/screen positioning funtion then you may want to try moving the picture upward, cutting off the black bar on the top so you can see the subtitles in the bottom bar. I did this with my RP91 while watching Jean De Florette and was happy with the result. The auto-scale feature in the RP91 didn't work on this film (did it window boxed), so I selected the zoom mode, which cut off the bottom line of the subtitles. Moving the picture upward worked fine and let me enjoy the film without losing the subtitles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks