What's new

Subtitles on Star Wars LD's (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a copy of the Star Wars Trilogy form a forum member. I was told it was the Special Edition, with DD. When I recieved the disc's, I was suprised to find out they are the Japanese version. What is this that I got? Is it better then the American version? I didn't think anything of it untill today when my Laserdisc player arrived. I was disappointed because the discs have Japanese subtitles that are very obnoxious. Can these be turned off? I have a 704 player and can't figure out how to get rid of them.

Please let me know the scoop on this version of Star Wars. The transaction was a smooth one with no hard feelings, but a slight dissapointment on the subtitles. Not what I want to be distracted by with "A long time ago..." scrolling on my screen.

Thanks,

Michael.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Japanese DD version is equivalent to the SE box set. There is also an older, non-DD version - hopefully you don't have those (not that they are bad, but the DD set is much more valuable). You can't turn off the subtitles, regardless of machine - sorry. Aren't they below the picture?

It is unusual that your seller didn't mention that it was the Japanese version. The Japanese sets have become quite rare. Ebay sellers often ask upwards of $180; I haven't seen one for quite a while so I wouldn't know what it's worth now (undoubtedly, still a lot).

If the deal annoys you too much, I'd ask for my money back as the set was misrepresented. If you got a bargain, I'd try and sell them on Ebay and make a profit, then go after the set you really want.

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

Thanks for the quick heads up. I just checked to verify - the trilogy is in Dolby Digital. I paid $150 for it. I'll think about what to do...I have no hard feelings with the the seller, as I said it was a smooth transaction. Besides - if these are more valuable, then I am ahead. Maybe I'll try and pick up the US version if the subtitles get to be too annoying. Another option is if someone will want to trade? These were brand new untill I opened them tonight.

Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks