subsonic filter

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ed*Wheaton, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Ed*Wheaton

Ed*Wheaton Agent

Hi all
    I have a Polk audio psw-404,and I read a review somewhere that one reviewer was going to install a subsonic filter on his.2 questions..What is a subsonic filter,and do I need one?

Thanks[​IMG]

2. Ed*Wheaton

Ed*Wheaton Agent

Hi all
    I have a Polk audio psw-404,and I read a review somewhere that one reviewer was going to install a subsonic filter on his.2 questions..What is a subsonic filter,and do I need one?

Thanks[​IMG]

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A subsonic filter removes frequencies below the lowest bass you can hear. It's purpose is to get rid of annoying low frequency vibrations, the most common of which had been rumble from turntables finding its way into the electronics. If you use bass shakers in the floor or furniture, you may well not want a subsonic filter, that would remove some of the vibrating effect.

Usually a subsonic filter also attenuates some of the lowest bass itself since it is difficult to make a filter that blocks one frequency almost completely but does not affect frequencies within ten percent.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A subsonic filter removes frequencies below the lowest bass you can hear. It's purpose is to get rid of annoying low frequency vibrations, the most common of which had been rumble from turntables finding its way into the electronics. If you use bass shakers in the floor or furniture, you may well not want a subsonic filter, that would remove some of the vibrating effect.

Usually a subsonic filter also attenuates some of the lowest bass itself since it is difficult to make a filter that blocks one frequency almost completely but does not affect frequencies within ten percent.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm