Subscription fee's and Norton...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Apr 16, 2002.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hello,

Norton Antivirus has been bugging me to pay for a subscription. What is this subscription for? If I don't choose to buy it, will I not be able to download the new virus def's? I would hope not...

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Just guessing but maybe the subscription is required for LiveUpdate? I know the individual definitions updates are a free download from Symantec's website.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

You need the subscription to install updated virus definitions, either thru LiveUpdate or via the downloaded updates (they won't install if your subscription is out of date).

An alternative to paying for a subscription renewal is to upgrade to the latest version of NAV (the 2002 version), which will give you another year's free updates. The next version (2003?) will be out in the fall before your subscription expires.

KJP

4. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Bah, this is bogus. I bought the program, I shouldn't have to pay for the virus def's. I have the 2002 edition already, so I guess I wont be getting any updated virus def's for a year now [​IMG]
    I hope other companies programs aren't like this, because I think it's time I look for a new virus scanner.

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Did you buy it and install it yourself, or did you get it pre-loaded on a new PC? Store-bought copies give you a year, while the bundled with new PC version only gives 90 days. If it's the latter just pop the 10 bucks for the subscription; it's worth it. If it's the former, you shouldn't have had it a year yet if it's the 2002 version.

All the anti-virus vendors do this. It covers the cost of researching viruses and providing the updates.

KJP

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

And some Virus applications are totaly FREE to non commercial
    users...
    Anti-Vir is what I use.. Totaly free.. www.free-av.com

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Heck, I buy the latest version of Norton Systemworks once a year so it doesn't really matter. That's okay, I'm getting my money's worth from it (I won't say how).

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I've always thought norton systemsworks (outside of ghost) was a disaster; it's "system doctor" which reports open files, etc. etc. etc. takes up more system resources then almost any program I've ever seen.. and their other programs seem to be of limited real useage.

*shrug* when I talked to them at Comdex, they informed me they though Systemworks 2002 or 2003 would be the last, as Symantec will be entering into the hardware firewall and corporate security markets, and there isn't much money to be made on those products..

10. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Just in case any of you are U.S. military personel, Norton Anti-Virus & the definitions are free for all Department of Defense personel for home use. I won't say how to get them, but check with your computer network admin's and ask them about it.......Wil

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I know better than to let System Doctor clog up my computer. I uncheck the "Run System Doctor on startup" when I install Systemworks. For the most part the only benefits I get from Systemworks are the antivirus, Disk Doctor, Clean Sweep install monitor, Fast & Safe Cleanup, and Speed Disk (on Win9x machines only, for NT/2K/XP I use Diskeeper).