subs SVS PC-ultra vs. klipsch RW-12

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daniel_Burke, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke Extra

I'm just wondering the differences because I currently have the RW-12. I am thinking about upgrading to the SVS PC-ultra. Anyone else think that this is a good idea? How much better is the SVS over the RW-12? Someone give me some examples.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I'd be interested as well. Planning on retiring a Klipsch SW10 (1993 vintage) and have come down to those exact two as well. Is the RW12 missing something in your estimation?

Mort

3. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Back some time ago there was a comparo between dual CS-Ultra's and an RSW-15, among other subs. Here's the review.

Though not a direct comparison, I think you can approximate the performance. Cut the SPL on the CS-Ultra by about 6 dB across the board, since you're only interested in one.

I would imagine the RSW-12 has less extension than the 15.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I'd definitely go with the SVS. I had a chance to a/b a SVS 20-30 PC (the original, not the PCi) and a Klipsch RSW-15. IMHO, The Klipsch had more output and extension but wasn't as accurate.

I ended up getting a SVS PB-2+ and soon after my friend who owned both the SVS and Klipsh replaced the Klipsch with a PB-2+ too.

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I think it's worth noting the review Mike linked to used the old Ultra drivers, and a PC-Ultra today will have an updated driver (the TV-12 driver has had at least one major upgrade since Brian's review) and a different amplifier (one designed to work with that driver). That can make extrapolating from Brian's results difficult in this situation.

-Robb