Subs.....SVS better than my sub???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin Lundberg, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Kevin Lundberg

I'm currently using the B&W ASW800. I like what I've read about the SVS subs and if I was to purchase today it would be the PB2-Plus. I have not auditioned this sub so I do not know what to expect. For those that have listened to both what differences? Is SVS the best in the $1200 price range?

I have my B&W placed front just left of my big screen and the base seems somewhat directional. Any ideas on correcting this problem? Will I have the same problem with other subs?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What do you have your crossover set to? If your mains can handle down to about 50-60Hz, then cross at 80Hz and this should remove directionality for 99.9% of people.

Also, distortion can cause localization, so if you're getting distortion that could be it.

3. Kevin Lundberg

My mains are Thiel 3.5's and they can drive low. I'll set my sub at 80 and see what happens. Thanks

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

The SVS are the best sounding subs I have ever heard. I have heard a $1800 sunfire, $2000 KEF, $2800 Martin Logan, etc... and the $900 PB1+ blew them away!

5. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if you can fix that with the ASW800, I noticed that the B&W subs are very noticeable and don't blend well in with their speakers. I had the ASW600, 650, 675 and didn't like any of them. I got the SVS PC+ 20-39 and WOW, it was exactly what I wanted...it's super quiet and makes stuff shake when called for...but otherwise you might not even know it's on, nor in the room... It blends with any speakers I've hooked up with it, perfectly.

If this is what you are going for, yes, the SVS is exactly what you are looking for. Get rid of the B&W, you'll be much happier.

I had looked at the ASW800, but when I demoed it I felt it was the same as the lower line of B&W subs...so that's when I started looking on line and found HSU & SVS. I'll give props to HSU, they are great subs as well.

6. Kevin Lundberg

PB2-Plus, pros/cons vs. the other SVS models?

7. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Pros: amazing sound quality and power at $1300 shipped, says it all. Cons: Size. Also note the PB2-ISD, which offers probably 90% of the performance of a PB2+ is like the forgotten stepchild, but offers one of the best price/performance of any brand sub, not just SVS if you want to save a couple hundred dollars.

8. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Wayno, I've been waiting for that forgotten stepchild for going on 3 weeks now. So maybe it hasn't been forgotten. [​IMG]

9. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

If you want to really talk about the forgotten stepchild of the SVS line, I think it must be the PB1-ISD. I own one, and it is truly an outstanding sub by any measure.

Obviously, as we know, a lot of people wouldn't consider going lower than the PB2-ISD. I would be willing to bet that if people tried out the PB1 instead of the larger subs, it would suffice for most rooms, other than really large rooms. The PB1 plays so low and so loud with movies, and so beautifully with music, in my 12' X 30' living room, and there is a lot of juice left if I needed it.

For me the PB1 was the obvious choice in the line as I live in a NYC apartment and going any larger would be criminal, but heck, I can see why people want to step up in the line. Why not if you can afford it and really play it loud enough to get the benefits of the larger subs.

10. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Jeffry... Also backordered...[​IMG]

11. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

I was set on the PB1-isd..till I looked at my footprint room better...went then with the just as good if not better cylinder (20-39PCi) and have been blown away ever since.

And all of SVS's Sub's are backordered....mine said 7-12 days. I got it in 4 or 5...can you say surprise!

But with an SVS you dont go to them with your mind set on a particular sub, (if its your first) you email them a drawing of your room and listening tastes and levels....and Tom or Ron will tell you what will work best for your room. Customer service at its best!

12. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately for prospective SVS owners, I think most of their subs are backordered right now. They are growing more popular by the day, and from what I've read, despite truly best efforts, just can't get their subs produced fast enough to meet demand.

Glad I ordered mine back in September when they had them in stock. [​IMG]

13. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

As most SVS owners will say, it is definitely worth the wait, I waited 3 weeks for mine in January/February, and even though it was a struggle, I absolute love my PC+ 20-39. Well worth it, though now I do want a PB2+ or Ultra...ugh!!! Good thing at the moment I don't have the room for one of those guys. [​IMG]

14. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

PB1+ blew away a Martin Logan Decent?? I guess that is your opinion, but I am highly skeptical based on my experience with the Decent and a SVS 25-31.[​IMG]

15. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

I ordered my PB2-ISD on March 3rd at 09:38:09 CDT. I'm still waiting....in the meantime, I started lifting heavy weights again so I can at least get it in the house. [​IMG]

16. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I waited 6 months for my PB2+ so I dont feel sorry for any of you. Secondly if your not in an apartment and have a decent sized room you want the PB2. The only down size is the size but once you have it and get it in its right spot you will never go smaller. Like the above poster said youll never know its there until boom time then you can feel the hairs on your chest as the sound passes you by.

17. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I'll concur with that. I've had a grey-stone PB1-ISD running in my HT system for a while now and it definitely has the SVS pedigree.

It has been tested, measured, and pushed hard 8 ways from Sunday and it hasn't winced or faltered yet. It goes loud, really low, and clean just like you would expect any SVS to do. In fact I was pretty amazed at how deep this thing gets corner loaded in a moderate size room. Try legitimate extension into the 18-20 Hz region.

It doesn't have the sheer output capability of its bigger brothers the bruiser PB2+ and PB2-Ultra (nor should it be expected to), but it ranks at the top of the $600 OEM box sub class IMO.

18. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

This week I listened to a B&W 750 sub and dual servo 15s. The servo 15s went lower but for tightness and detail the 750 was better. The guy with the servo has a PB2+ on the way, so I should have a better answer in a few days. Different rooms for the two set-ups though.

19. Kevin Lundberg

I've been in contact with Tom at SVS. He suggests that the PB2+ will best fit my needs. The PB2+ is on order and the B&W is for sale. Can't wait until the big brown truck pulls up. Thanks for everyones advise.

Kevin