sub's high cut control

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mark McConnell, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Mark McConnell

Mark McConnell Auditioning

I just bought a Yamaha 6.1 HTIB and I was wondering what I should set my subwoofer's high cut control to. I currently have it set to 100Hz. The sub's owner's manual says that it should normally be set to the main speakers' minimum reproducible frequency, but I can't find that anywhere in the main speakers' manual and I don't even know what that is. Does anyone have any suggestions or happen to know what the minimum reproducible frequency is for the main speakers(Yamaha NS-AP4400)?

2. Mark McConnell

I just bought a Yamaha 6.1 HTIB and I was wondering what I should set my subwoofer's high cut control to. I currently have it set to 100Hz. The sub's owner's manual says that it should normally be set to the main speakers' minimum reproducible frequency, but I can't find that anywhere in the main speakers' manual and I don't even know what that is. Does anyone have any suggestions or happen to know what the minimum reproducible frequency is for the main speakers(Yamaha NS-AP4400)?

3. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

sometimes you just have to play with the frequency until it sounds best to you

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

sometimes you just have to play with the frequency until it sounds best to you

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Do you mean the setting on the sub itself ? This should be turned up all the way or defeated. Your receiver has already conditioned the signal for the sub and the sub circuitry should not do any further filtering. Could end up with a dip in mid bass.

6. Mark McConnell

yes, i was referring to the setting on the sub itself. My sub's high cut control goes from 50hz to 150hz. so, I should set it all the way up to 150hz?

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Yes. The reason that control is on the sub is to use IF you were feeding it a raw full range signal, which the signal on the sub out (or LFE out) is not.