Subs and house damage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon D, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Question: have any users of high output subs suffered any home damage as a result? My new SVS doesn't have me concerned for the structure of the house but......There is a plaster stucco ceiling on the room underneath my 'boom boom' room. It has hairline cracks, but they've been there for a long time (and I can't see any enlarging of them after pumping the Haunting at reference). Am I in danger of causing the plaster to relocate to the floor? Has this type of situation happened to anybody else? My roomate, who owns the house, says that he doesn't care, but all things considered, I'd rather not have to clean up the mess.

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Sorry I can't give you an educated answer, but I appreciate the post. I've been running short of stuff to worry about.[​IMG]
    --Steve

3. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Steve, I help in any way that I can [​IMG]

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I had to run drywall screws into my ceiling. The lack of construction quality coupled with my sub, led to the sheetrock hanging down 1/2" off the joists.

Pete

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

During calibration I realised I couldn't hear a 22hz tone, so I jacked the volume up slowly.

At about 95db the water pipes in the opposite corner of the basement were banging very loudly. I left the volume up and went to investigate only to find that they were actually moving about 3" back and forth, very quickly.

Scared the shit out of me! I don't need busted water pipes in the basement. No more test tones above 80db.

- CM

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Tom Nousaine measured some guys IB a couple years ago for AUDIO. They said if he cranked it up...the garage doors were knocked off the tracks.

TV

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Well..consider...we have an active quary around here..and about 2:00pm every day..the house gets a good shaking!. hence it think my sub probably due a bit less damage than that- roof is still intact [​IMG]