What's new

subs and flush mounting (1 Viewer)

James Slade

Second Unit
I am just about to put my tempest sonotube together. I have plugs to go in the tube with a cherry top for the top of the sub for looks. I also made a cherry base to go on the bottom. It turned out to be just a ring really 18 inch tube at 15 inch driver. I plan on mounting the driver in the plug. The the ring goes on the plug around the outside just for looks. This means that the driver is not flush mounted, it is actually sunk in about 3/4" in the bottom.

With the have any bad affect of the sound? This thought never even crossed my mind when to comes to subs.

Is this a bad idea?

My other option is to leave off the bottom cherry piece, it just won't look as good.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I honestly couldn't see it causing a problem. Your basically mounting it flush, but by using another piece of wood. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

James Slade

Second Unit
My first post I think is sort of misleading. The cherry wood ring does not go around the outside of the plug/sonotube. It will be attached to the plug like another layer of material. The large hole for the tempest just makes the piece more like a ring instead of a plug/plate.

------- --------

-------++++++++++++++--------

-------++++++++++++++--------

++++++++++

The + are the driver mounted in the plug with another ring like layer on top.

Cam S

Screenwriter
so what you will have is a endcap made of MDF, that the driver will be mounted on. Then you will cut a hole in a piece of hardwood the size of the driver then laminate it onto the endcap, right?? if that is how it is, then it will be fine, just seal the sub really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks