What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Let’s look at Submarine Command. After being picked up from RKO Radio Pictures, John Farrow very quickly established himself as one of Paramount’s top directors in the 1940’s, with films like Wake Island (1942), China (1943), Two Years Before the Mast (1946), The Big Clock (1948), Night Has a Thousand Eyes (also 1948) and Alias Nick Beal (1949). By the time he made Submarine Command, Farrow was nearing the end of his tenure with the studio. Kino has licensed the movie for its home video debut.

Submarine Command (1951)

Released: 01 Nov 1951
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 87 min

Director: John Farrow
Genre: Drama, War

Cast: William Holden, Nancy Olson, William Bendix
Writer(s):...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your review. I should have the Kino Blu-ray tomorrow, but I received the Via Vision Blu-ray as part of the "Directed by John Farrow" BD Collection last week and watched two of the films "Botany Bay" and this one. I'm thinking both the Kino and Via Vision Blu-rays are derived from the same scan. I'll do a comparison between the two. However, there are differences with the bonus material. The Via Vision has a different audio commentary by other people and a few other featurettes that's not on the Kino Blu-ray. With that said, I love listening to Mitchell and Rubin's audio commentaries on "War" movies. I find them entertaining and enlightening.

It's been decades since I last watched this movie on a local TV station, probably back to at least my teenage years. Anyhow, I do have one issue with this movie and that is an experienced Navy veteran like Bendix's character should have realized after time and reflection that
Holden made the correct decision during that faithful battle that took place just after they realized the war was over. I just never bought into the continued resentment which didn't help Holden dealing with his PTSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElizabthOno
Recent bookmarks