sub x-over and volume question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ted Lee, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i have the klipsch ksw-10 sub and a yamaha 5590 receiver.

i don't see where i can adjust the sub x-over in my receiver, so i'll assume it's fixed at 80Hz.

my question is where should i set my sub x-over? i'm thinking somewhere around 90Hz? that should ensure that there is no gap in the spectrum?

also, what exactly does the "volume" knob do? it (obviously) makes the bass stronger, but what is happening? is there a recommended way to utilize this feature?

thx,

ted

2. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Ted,

I don't know your receiver, but generally if you have a sub hooked up so the receiver's crossover is engaged, you want to take the sub amp's crossover out of the equation altogether. Assuming your sub has a built-in plate amp, either turn the plate amp's crossover off (if you can), or turn it all the way up (mine goes up to 160hz). Otherwise, you have two crossovers doing much the same thing and they will interact in undesirable ways.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Bob is right....... the sub's x-over is negated since you are using the receiver x-over point. You need to disable the sub x-over or turn it to its highest setting......

Also, the "volume" knob on the sub is usually a "gain" which of course kinda works like volume. Sometimes it is kinda hard to "hear" distortion in a sub from an incorrectly set gain so it is mort importantly to know your receivers sub output volts and the subs input parameters so you can adjust as necessary.

4. tony_n

tony_n Extra

Guys
    Have been reading your posts with interests.
    i have a pioneer av and a velodyne ct8 sub.
    The av is set to 80hz,on the cross over.
    Are you saying to turn the subs x/over up to max which is around 120hz.
    Next question do I have sub switched to internal x/over or direct.
    thanks
    tony

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys.

i checked my sub and it's x-over goes up to 120, so i'll leave it there. i've been playing around with the "volume" setting and appear to have found a decent point where the sub doesn't overpower the mains.