sub wouldn't kick in....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ted Lee, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

in a nutshell, here's what happened.

i keep my sub on all the time. (klipsch ksw-10)

one day figured out that my sub wasn't working. for how long? i'm embarassed to say i don't know. i started running test tones, cranking up the sub volume, etc. no luck. i thought for sure my sub was busted.

hooked it up to my other receiver in the bedroom and it started working fine. put it back outside in the living room and it's now working fine.

so, i wonder why it stopped working and why all my efforts (before i took it into the bedroom) failed.

any ideas?

2. Brent Smith

Brent Smith Agent

Hi Ted,

My best bet is that your LFE output on the reciever where it doesn't work has been damaged somehow (Did you ever hear a large POP from your speaker(s) on the reciever possibly before the sub seemed to quit working? I had that happen it required have the LFE circuit to be replaced on the reciever. Hope it just a transisent thing though.

TTYL,

Brent

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, that's kinda what i thought too brent.

but, hooking it up in my bedroom, and then having it work again back in the living room is what's trippin' me out.

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Ted,

you say you keep the thing on all the time. I wonder if the sub's amp has some kind of protection circuit that by virtue of unplugging and re-plugging the sub in got reset?

-Robb

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...good point robb. i didn't test just by unplugging it. i'll keep that in mind if it happens again.