sub woofers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by geoff dixon, Sep 30, 2003.

1. geoff dixon

geoff dixon Agent

is the sub woofer working? how many of us find the panic button whilst playing dvds, why do so many music Dvds lack a good bass line? I have an active Sony sub which remains in the idle mode on so many dvds? and sometimes I think its died only to wake up on selected discs known for a good bottom end. is there any reason to suppress a good 5.1 recording? in terms of a technical nature?

/

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I haven't found too many music DVDs that have weak bass unless they were mastered that way, intentionally or unintentionally.

I also have never had my sub go idle during any type of listening.

Are you using a "y" splitter for the input? Your input voltage may be too low to keep the sub on.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I was wondering on your AVR/Pre-amp is it setup as all speakers small, sub on, and calibrated?

4. geoff dixon

geoff dixon Agent

To John thanks for the reply I dont use a Y splitter I take the Mono low pass feed from the Onkyo amp to the sub I have one single lead into the input of the sub. I have a power save turn off built into the acive amp. This is activated when the input level drops and remains so for 7 mins,turning the output off.On FM I never have the sub quiet its active. It appears to be the mix of certain DVDs why do they suppress the subwoofer to cut off?
    To Robert, the set up of the speakers have been checked with SPL metering. It appears to be in the media

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If the sub has stereo line level inputs, try using the Y adapter to both inputs. This will raise the input voltage and likely keep the sub on more of the time. However, with movies, this may continue to happen when there are quiet passages.

It's not the media, it's the sub's amp.

6. Robert_Gaither

Ok geoff I assume the system is calibrated so let's tackle rest of the setup, is the AVR set to digital input for the DVD input, is the DVD player setup on the digital output as either "raw" or "bitrate" instead of "PCM", and are all speakers set to "small", and sub to "on"?

Your AVR will decode the signal to dolby pro logic (referred to as DPL from here on out) if only the analog inputs are used.

Digital out on the "PCM" on the DVD player setting will also decode as DPL instead of DD (dolby digital) which most player's will and some decoder's will omit the 0.1 LFE (low freq effects) track when pushed out on this type of signal.

If either of the two above scenerioes are true, then if the fronts are set to large/full (or normal on some AVR settings) then the bass will sometimes not get routed to the sub on some decoders. Simply setting all speakers "small" and sub "on" will insure that only the sub will play the lower freqs and the other speakers are guaranteed to play the upper freqs (80hz+).

Finally another setting that may have been overlooked, see if your AVR has an LFE trim or limiter and check the setting on this and either set it or turn it off.

7. Robert_Gaither

PS: also turn off any kind of "dynamic range compression" or "night mode" on both the AVR and DVD player.

8. geoff dixon

geoff dixon Agent

Thanks guys for your direction I will ensure all your points are correct and get back to you, Regards Geoff