What's new

sub woofer (1 Viewer)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Herb,

The answer is maybe.... It really depends on the driver. Typically car subs are designed to work in small sealed boxes and allow cabin gain to make up the low end response.

Other drivers like our AV12 work out well in a car or home theater environment. If you already have a car sub, which one? I can let you know much better if it will work or not.

If you don't already have the woofer, with most of the better car subs you're paying a lot more money for the name than for the actual performance.

John

Herb Michelli

Auditioning
I tried to go to the link you provided for stryke.com and I can get into the website but thats all I can do. Do you know if the website is having any trouble?

ArthurJ

Second Unit
GrahamT,

You’re baseless annotations are no more then that of an uneducated, badly informed home theater enthusiast. Don’t worry; I was the same way when I ventured into home audio/theater. You would be exceedingly shocked if you seen some of the drivers out there directed in favor of car audio, I wouldn’t qualm to believe the greater part would humiliate a vast majority of the subs directed for home theater. The frequency the driver can play is far more dependent on the enclosure and tuning frequency, saying “car audio subs don’t/aren’t designed to go as low” is not only comical but more significantly unrepresentative. The world’s finest engineered sub is projected for car audio. Everything about it is a marvel. Gather before you discourse, you would be quite shocked at the outcome.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
You’re baseless annotations are no more then that of an uneducated, badly informed home theater enthusiast. Don’t worry; I was the same way when I ventured into home audio/theater. You would be exceedingly shocked if you seen some of the drivers out there directed in favor of car audio, I wouldn’t qualm to believe the greater part would humiliate a vast majority of the subs directed for home theater. The frequency the driver can play is far more dependent on the enclosure and tuning frequency, saying “car audio subs don’t/aren’t designed to go as low” is not only comical but more significantly unrepresentative. The world’s finest engineered sub is projected for car audio. Everything about it is a marvel. Gather before you discourse, you would be quite shocked at the outcome.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ok, care to enlighten all us idiots? A 12" Dayton Quatro will not play as low as a Dayton 12" DVC assuming both are put in optimal enclosures, sorry. Both cabinets have to be optimal in a comparison otherwise it is not an apples to apples comparison. One driver is designed to play lower. Typical car subs are not designed to play low on their own and use cabin gain to overcome this deficiency. No, not all car subs suck, but most are overrated, and NOT recommendable for home use.

Though, I would love to know about this wonderful sub that you're keeping all to yourself. ;)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Actually you misquoted me, I never said that they dont go as low. They can, in a car with cabin gain. As for the uneducated part, I dont see how my comments differ that much from John's and he designs drivers for a living. I am sure that some car subs are good. And could put HT subs to shame in a HT, but not for the same money. Tell me if you know of a car sub that is better for HT than John's AV15 or Dan's Tempest in that price range.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Dan Hine,

Define optimal? Are you speaking of the manufacturers recommended enclosure? If so your deliberation is pathetic, I know of 20 dissimilar “optimal” enclosures for my driver (15A.22), yet I use the one that fits my application best. “Typical car subs are not designed to play low on their own and use cabin gain to overcome this deficiency.” This quote has got me on the floor laughing; educate yourself a little with reference to speaker design. There are a lot of dubious manufactures out there, not just in car audio. For the most part however I can identify with several manufacturers that would serve well for double duty, just to name a few…

Elemental Designs
Resonant Engineering
Adire Audio
Image Dynamics
Crystal Loudspeakers

As for the super sub, I am speaking of the JL W7 line of drivers.

GrahamT,

A lot of the car audio drivers can put them to shame for less money, that’s the thing. I am not directing my response to internet retailers only, instead the whole audio scene. Better then the AV15 or Tempest for the price? Both are fantastic drivers. Both internet based companies too. All considered I would put an elemental designs 15K in my living room ahead of both those drivers.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
Elemental designs does not list a 15K subwoofer on their site. there is a e12K or a e15A but no 15K, or is it a new model not on their site yet. Please guide me to the woofer you speak of.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Arthur,

What Dan is saying is, for HT most car audio drivers are not a good choice. Many have such small Vas and Qts that there's no way to affectively port the enclosure below 30Hz or so. Also, any many cases the Fs is too high. I wouldn't be comfortable tuning an enclosure to 17-20Hz with a driver that's got an Fs up around 28-30Hz. You'll end up bottoming the thing out much too easily.

I'd sure take a couple of Adire Brahma 15's in a sealed enclosure with my LT circuit and my K2 though! :)

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of the car audio drivers can put them to shame for less money, that’s the thing. I am not directing my response to internet retailers only, instead the whole audio scene. Better then the AV15 or Tempest for the price? Both are fantastic drivers. Both internet based companies too. All considered I would put an elemental designs 15K in my living room ahead of both those drivers.
Those other car audio drivers for a lot less money than the AV15 which can put it to shame in a HT setup.

NAME THEM.

For $165 the AV15 is nearly unbeatable right now. Not only does a E15K not exist right now, but I can assure you that the older ones would not even compare.

Looking at the e15a for $315 he could get TWO AV15's for only $15 dollars more.

...sounds like a SIN person to me...

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Brian Bunge,

I have no idea what driver's you are talking about, but they are none that I deal with!

ArthurJ

Second Unit
There is no doubt in my mind that the Stryke AV series are very good for the dollar. I was speaking of the last generation K series.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Speaking of the Stryke AV series, have they been officially Dumaxed? Just because they claim a linear throw of 23mm…

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
ArthurJ, I'm sure you know what he is talking about when he says "Also, any many cases the Fs is too high. I wouldn't be comfortable tuning an enclosure to 17-20Hz with a driver that's got an Fs up around 28-30Hz."

Did you take a look at the companies you mentioned?

Car Audio:
Elemental Designs
e15A.22 - Fs : 28.80 Hz
e12A.22 - Fs : 27.3 Hz

e12O.44 - Fs : 28.63 Hz
e12K.44 - Fs : 26.39 ohm

Resonant Engineering
XXX10 - 28.4
XXX12 - 27
XXX15 - 28
XXX18 - 29
HC12 - 28
HC18 - 27.3

Home Theater:
Adire Audio
Tempest - 18.8
Shiva - 21
DPL12 - 16.3
Tumult - 19
Maelstorm - 18

Notice the stark contrast in Fs between the two. You can look at Vas and Qts if you want to also ;)

Image Dynamics
Couldn't find the Fs quickly

Crystal Loudspeakers aka Crystal Audio
Couldn't find quickly

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Arthur,

I read all your post but this line is all I needed to know that you are a big fat waste of time.

If so your deliberation is pathetic
Oh, and the W7 line from JL? The wonder sub? LOLOLOL. Thanks, at least I got a laugh after your insult.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Ok, is everybody's name on this damn forum Dan or Brian? Dan, I never called it the wonder sub, if you read up on the engineering and the cutom parts that went into designing the sub you would be quite pleased!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks