What's new

Sub Woofer turns on with Amplifier (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have a JBL Subwoofer (I forget which model # because I'm at work right now), but many people have complained about this sub woofer suddenly shorting out and causing problems. I had a similar experience where some of the wires accidentally crossed and it started wigging out. (i.e The dreaded helicopter fluttering that most complained about) To avoid having the speaker on when I'm not at home, instead of turning it off, I plugged it into my receiver and it turns on whenever I turn on my receiver. That way, it only goes on when I need it (i.e. to watch DVD's).

Since I am too lazy to get up and turn the volume up every time I use it, I leave it at a normal volume...when the receiver goes on (and turns on the sub) it makes a slight boom (when the power goes on)...

My question is: Am I hurting the unit by doing this?? I assume it's not the best thing to do, but I figured I should really just replace the sub so if this practice eventually destroys it...no biggie. I'd rather do it this way because it's better than leaving it on and possibly having it wig out or catch on fire when I'm not home.

Thoughts?

MarcVH

Second Unit
Check the manual for your receiver. Most receiver convenience outlets have a low power rating, and cannot handle power-hungry components like amplifiers, so you may be hurting your receiver by doing this.

If you really want the sub to be controlled in this way, Sears sells a device (go to sears.com and search for "auto switch") which does this. They consider it a tool, as it's intended for automatically turning on a sawdust blower when you use a power saw, but it can also work to automatically turn on your sub when you use your receiver.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Marc,

I'm a real novice when it comes to volts, amps, & power, etc. What do I look for to see if the power rating is high enough for my sub???

Also, that switch (from Sears.com) sounds neat, but how does it work?

It looks like I plug the reciever in the plug labeled "Power Tool" and I'd plug my sub in the "Accessory"? Then I assume that when the "Power Tool" appliance is turned off, it turns off power to the "Accessory" plugs? I wonder if this works with Receivers?

It seems like this would be an item they'd sell at a place like Tweeter or Circuit City?

MarcVH

Second Unit
Your assumptions about the auto-switch are correct, and mine works fine with my receiver, 4 external amps and a BFD. I've never seen anything like it marketed at audio purposes.

Just look at either the back panel of your receiver or the owners manual -- there should be an indication of maximum watts for the convenience outlets. There should be an indication of maximum watts. Then look at the back panel or manual for your subwoofer for wattage figures (you're looking for power consumption; since amps aren't 100% efficient this will be more than the output power.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks