What's new

Sub woofer questions (1 Viewer)

PaulCa

Auditioning
I am looking for a sub maybe two to go in a family room 21 x 20 with one opening going to a bedroom from the family room,Its carpeted over cement floor,What i really like to have when watching movies is that you can feel the subs vibrate you when you hear any deep sounds in the movie,Will you get this in a room that is carpeted over cement?.what kind of subs will give me this effect?,If its a good sub does it actly vibrate you or can you just hear the deep bass,Thanks

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If it's loud enough it will actually vibrate you. Is the room open to anything else? How high are the cielings? Need that information to determine how much sub you'll need to reach levels that will shake you.

What will make the vibration feel start a bit earlier would be to build a small wooden subfloor type platform for your seating.

Another option is to install some bass shakers to your seating or that platform. Will give you that sensation at much lower SPL levels. Depending on how big your room is, this could be a significantly cheaper option than buying enough sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With enough sub, you can shake the foundation. My wife says she can feel the vibrations on the back porch (still part of the concrete slab) when I turn it up. I was testing a TC2hp in a 3.5 cubic foot, sealed box with a Parts Express 250w amp.

-Robert

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
PaulCa,

My square footage is just a tad larger than yours, but my ceilings are only 8 feet. I have one small opening to the rest of the house. I am also on concrete with block walls. My sub is powerful enough to shake me and everything else in the room with authority, so yes, it is possible.

-Robb

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I have heard Rob's set up. The PB2 Ultra shook the seats without straining itself. I have heard the PB10, PC2039, CS+1626, PB12, PB2+12 and the PCU. The PB2Ultra definitely packs one heck of a punch and some great sounding bass.

Most of the other subs I have heard are great in the 35 to 50hz region. The SVS subs provide a great response from 20 to 100hz if so desired.

If you are looking along the lines of shaking the crap out of the chairs there are tactile transducers, bass shakers, and buttkickers.

In the past 3 years I have had roughly 15 subs pass through my HT. I am by far no expert but in my experience, the flat response from 20 to 100hz is more important to me than a narrow punch response. I purchased a sub for movies but with the quality of the bass from the SV subs I suddenly developed a strong interest in jazz, piano, and instrumental musics as the SV subs really captured the low end audio range with a much nicer response than the punch subs. That is not to say such bands like Godsmack (thanks to Robb), steeley dan, metallica, blue man group, diana krall, norah jones, pink floyd, santana lack in the punch but instead of hearing a rolling boom you actually hear the strings, piano, percussions and guitars. Ok one of the best sounds to demo is Barry Manilow Copacabana, ok stop laughing and give it a try. :)

I currently have bass shakers installed on the butts and backs of all the chairs. It adds to the effect of the bass but doesn't take away from the bass being produced.

In my opinion over powering the sub can take away from the other speakers, increase rattles from pipes, pictures or even walls. The bass shakers add a nice touch to movies. In saying that there is a difference between loud bass and quality.

My subs rattle everything in my house there is to rattle. But there is nothing like felling an explosion or a sudden incident in a movie all over the body. Sometimes I scare the crap out of guests well they feel the seat vibrating and the impact from the sub.

For music playback I use just the subs.

For the ultimate experience I would recommend a tactile set up and a great sub woofer. If you can demo a SVS sub jump at the opportunity.

scott

PaulCa

Auditioning
Well i have heard lots of subs in the same room of different brands,Some will vibrate the room a little and some larger subs will not,And they all vary in price range,I tried subs with 10" drivers to 12" drivers,Polk,mirage,velodyne,paradigm,axiom,rel acoustics,energy,sunfire true sub.
The best subs i found that produce the best bass and vibrations were the borrowed from friend velodyne dd12,energy 10.3/12.3 /polk/tried all models /paradigm pw 2100/pw2200,I tried a svs pb12 and a 20-39+ from friend and could not get any vibration from the sub compared to the others.And mirage did not impress me at all.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I mentioned this in the other thread PaulCa started, but anyone who wants to hear/*feel* a PB10-ISD or PB12-Ultra/2 on a cement floor in AZ can PM me for an audtion.

-Robb

RussD

Agent
I have heard only good things about svs, but i havent't actually HEARD an svs. I do have two definitive tech supercube references and one sunfire mkii in my setup and they can be felt. Subs are at 11 o'clock volume and processor at -8 (on a -12 to +12 scale). A very tactile experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks