What's new

Sub Woofer Question (1 Viewer)

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
I have this new receiver:

Yamaha - 980W 7.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver - RX-V863BL

I'm using some of old speakers which are pretty good. The only problem is the sub woofer from my previous system uses speaker wires. The back of this receiver doesn't have a place for me to put them they only have I think they are red and white slots for the sub woofer. Is there any way I can change mine to accommodate this or am I looking at a new sub woofer?

Thank You
Jerry

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My guess is that sub woofer isn't up tp par with the Yamaha 863. I'd say get a new one.

Again, not a sub expert so if anything I said is in-accurate please correct it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Sorry, but you're looking at a new sub. I assume your current sub is not a powered model? If so, the cost is definitely going to be worth it, because the difference is huge.

A decent entry-level powered sub will set you back about $100 - $150 new, $50 to $75 used. You'll also need either a red/white stereo cable or a single-wire 75 ohm RCA cable to carry the signal to the new sub. (Most newer receivers have a dedicated subwoofer output specifically for powered subs, as Gene C noted in his reply.)

Amazon.com is a surprsingly good one-stop source for both new and used equipment, especially if you're like me, and leary about rip-offs on eBay and similar sites.

Yamaha powered sub - new, about $100 with shipping.

Jensen powered sub - refurbished, about $80 with shipping.

Regards,

Joe

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
Does you sub have speaker in and speaker out on it? If so, run your L and R to the sub, then back out of the sub to your R and L speakers.

Otherwise, you need to Bi-Wire from your reciever to your sub and your mains.

Neither one of these options is going to your best bet, but it will get you by until you want to do more upgrades.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
does your sub plug into wall power? I was assuming that to begin with. If the sub is an oldie but a goodie, it may just need a small power amp in the line up

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
The sub woofer does not have a power cable. I looked at the back of the receiver and there are 2 subwoofer outs. Someone told me I can get a wire that will hook up with my speaker wire and then I can plug it into the back of the receiver.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And that person was wrong. You have a passive sub. The sub outs on your new receiver are line level not speaker level. You have to amplify them. Parts Express has amps starting about $50. What is your budget to get this problem fixed?

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks