What's new

Sub woofer or Polyfill cannon? (1 Viewer)

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
well i got all my electronics from Adire and am quite pleased with everything. I got my box all hooked up, i put the 60oz of polyfill in, and fired her up. Unfortunatly polyfill shot out the ports all over. hah
This is the Adire Tempest Alignment, all to spec from the plans on Adire's website. It called for 64oz of polyfill, i had trouble finding room for the 60oz i had. every cubic inch was filled in the ~7.5ft^3 box. around ports, over ports, pretty much packed everywhere.. is this way too much? evidently i guess since it shot out. should i pack it so that its below the port hight? (fires down so ports stand up) should i even pack it at all? i packed it as little as possible.
if anyone could give me some polyfill pointers, thatd be fantastic.
Also i have just a recessed mounting hole cut for the AVA250 amp. its screwed in place and sealed. This is ok right? the amp seemed solid enough to hold up to the pressure, but i want to be sure i dont tear it up.
thanks,
Dan
------------------

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, Julian Data helped me determine what amount to use. His recommendation was to use 2 lbs polyfil for my 8ft^3 box to achieve 25% fill. I don't know the exact calculation ratio or your % fill, so try asking Julian.

Julian Data

Second Unit
Dan,
Try using going to your gf/wife's drawer and use "fishnet" stocking to hold the polyfil in place.
6lbs of stuffing, that's alot. That's a 80% fill. You might want to try the enclosure first "empty" to get an idea of how it sounds. And then slowly add fill in pound increments.
For your amp mounting, I would've used "closed-cell" tape.
------------------

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok julian, good idea.
i see i way over did it. heh
also the amp isnt permanent, ill remove it to fix the stuffing situation. what do you mean by closed cell tape? like the foam double sided? the AV250 has a rubber/foam-like gasket also.
thanks,
Dan
P.S. my AIM nick is: dannydigitl
much easier to conversate w/ this if you have any suggestions :)
------------------
[Edited last by Dan_D on August 04, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Julian,
6lbs? 64oz. is actually 4lbs. of stuffing so he's just over 50% in a 7.5ft^3 enclosure. I used 3lbs. of stuffing in each of my 3.4ft^3 sealed SV12 subs. :)
Brian
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Brian..
Sorry I got brainfade today as it was my BDay.. lots of company over.
biggrin.gif

Dan,
I use the tape available at Home Depot. Only one side has the adhesive.
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Julian,
Happy Birthday! I guess we can let that little error slip! So how old are ya?!
Brian
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Damn, someone else older than me! I'll be 30 in October! So is it all downhill after that? :)
Brian
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
I was told several years ago by friends/associates in their 40s and up..
.."You are not considered an adult until you are past 40".
tongue.gif

.. I still feel vibrant and active.
------------------

Jeffrey S

Stunt Coordinator
I too have a polyfill question. Is it available from K-mart/ Wal-Mart/Joann Fabrics, or is it specialized stuff for speaker builders?
Thanks.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks