Sub-Woofer is Humming

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Antonio_B, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

A few days ago I bought a new audio system and everytime i turn on the subwoofer i hear a loud hum.
    I'm positive this hum is generated by some ground loops signals from the CATV.

Do you guys have an idea how to stop the hum?

Thanks in advance!

2. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

Try "lifting" the ground pin on the subs' power cord--if it has a three-prong plug, that's--with an adapter (cheap at a Home Depot near you [​IMG] ).

If that doesn't stop the hum then try connecting all of your components in the SAME AC power source outlet (s) regardless of whether they have 2 or 3 prong plug power cords. Perhaps that might do the trick. [​IMG]

Good luck on your quest!...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

3. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I just dealt with this. My system connects to a Tice Solo Power conditioner. The wall outlet is shared with a halogen torch lamp. After some detective work, it turns out that the lamp was generating this hum in the sub and at the components only at the low setting. Off and high there is no hum. It's not loud like your though.

4. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

try a new sub cord

5. Antonio_B

Thanks for the replies!

I have no idea why and how but all of a sudden the hum disappeared yesterday afternoon.

Let's hope it doens't come back...

6. Jackson L

Jackson L Stunt Coordinator

It is probably some sort of interference. What kind of cord are you using? When I bought my sub I tried using a home made cable made of lamp wire. Those cables work great for amplified signals but not for line level signals such as a sub. If you don't have a shielded cable you don't have to go spend $40+ on a "subwoofer" cable. You can buy RG-6 cable and a couple of adapters like THIS at RadioShack (couldn't find the latter on the site). I paid a total of $6 for my 20ft. cable and it works great.

7. Antonio_B

Dude now the sub is not working...

Maybe a blown fuse?There's power going into it but there's no sound.

Because I heard you can blow up a fuse by disconnecting the RCA cable from the subwoofer when it's "ON".That's exactly what i did(if not many times).I have to bring it to the store now to have it checked....

[​IMG]