What's new

Sub-woofer hum - help (1 Viewer)

boojew

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben A
Hey guys,

first time poster here, but I've done some searching and googling first (I swear!). I just moved into a new house a while back and decided to run my speaker cabling for my first floor through my basement ceiling. I ran 2x speaker cabling for my left and right and 1x coax for my sub and then got a coax to rca connector for my keystone walljacks. Everything is great right? Not so much. My 2 speakers work great, but my sub has a constant hum when the receiver is off. When I connect the sub directly to the Kenwood receiver I dont have this problem.

I'm guessing this is being caused by interefence, but I'm not sure the source. The coax connections are roughly 3' away from my electrical outlets and the coax cable itself doesnt' run across (or very near) any power cables.

Important note: neither my sub nor receiver's electrical plug have grounding power connections. Also, I've tried many different (although potential on the same circuit) power outlets.

Help!! Thanks in advance!

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
I hate to say the obvious but did you try to a real rca interconnect on the same route that is has the interference? It is obviously a decent size run and a damaged coax may be the cause. I'm also unsure of the shielding properties of a rca interconnect versus a coax cable, maybe that matters. Any pros have thoughts on this one?

boojew

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben A
Thanks, Werrty7777, but running rca was impossible for me (couldn't get crimp-on rca adapters, soldering's a no-no for me and the holes werent big enough for finished cables). Anyways, all that being said yesterday morning I spend some time on the problem and discovered that indeed you get what you pay for in cabling. I had purchased cables for coax connectors terminated on each side and cut one side off to pass the cable and re-terminate it. All was well until when I pulled the cable with the fish the connector with the pre-terminated end pulled off a bit and ripped the shielding inside. Once I re-terminated that end the problem was solved. Not sure how I didnt catch this earlier.

Thansk for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zukz15
Recent bookmarks