1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sub Woofer Help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BIGTONE559, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BIGTONE559

BIGTONE559 Auditioning

BIGTONE
    Greetings everyone. I found an interesting thread here on Subwoofer connections and wanted to inquire about my personal situation. Will be receiving keys to new home that was pre-wired for SS. I was told that i won't be able to install in-wall sub, because coax was run for pre-wire. My thoughts are that this shouldn't be an issue because newer receivers support preamps (preouts) which with the proper connector could power the sub. Am i missing something?

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Have you looked at the wiring and terminals yet? My guess is that there's a coax cable for the sub running to a plated terminal with an RCA out, meaning you'd have to do some rewiring from a dedicated amp to your sub location. i know some around here aren't fans of in-wall subs, but YMMV.

Nothing's impossible; it's just a matter of how much work you want to put in to install an in-wall sub.

3. BIGTONE559

BIGTONE559 Auditioning

BIGTONE
    you're right coax was ran through wall but it was not terminated to a plate (I assumed RCA as well). However, there are just wires waiting with a generic wall plate.
    At this point I believe i'm going to commit to a wireless sub. Checked it out at Best Buy ("
    MartinLogan - Dynamo 700W 10" 600-Watt Subwoofer - Black") and was very pleased with performance. thanks for your response!