Sub Woofer Choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Marsh, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Nick Marsh

Nick Marsh Auditioning

I am looking at two different subs for a system to be used 70% for music and 30% for HT. They are the HSU VTF-2 and the SVS 20-39PC. Which would serve my purpose best. Thanks

Nick

2. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

SVS...definitely

3. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

SVS is the better sub.

But this is not really a fair comparison, the price difference is almost $500 after shippping... Unless you are looking at a used SVS.

I'm currently deciding on VTF-2 and the Adire Audio Rava. Both can be had for

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Art_C:
    i was considering the same thing this past summer: Rava vs VTF-2. then when i learned that Tom V (the guy helping me make my decision) was an SVS maker, and i stumbled on a b-stock 25-31PC, i was sold. it's worth the extra $$. wait a few wks and get an SVS-- you wont regret it. [​IMG]

5. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

I think there should be a place on the SVS website where you can get on the waiting list for a B-stock SVS... [​IMG]
    BTW, what did TomV suggests? I know that he has a very high opinion of the VTF-2 but I'm curious what he thought of the Rava.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the rava looks like a good unit for the price,very nice components in there for 399.
    the HSU VTF-2, has had it's performance verified by Tom Nousaine...and it has gone through a few upgrades since the review that would undoubtedly give it higher performance figures than the old numbers on TN's list.
    Jack, I THINK that's 110dB/500w...107dB/250w. But I can't find all my back issues of T$$. Either way...outstanding performance...typical for Hsu [​IMG]
    Also of note...that's just HF playing some test tones and trying to subjectively interpret any *noise* made by the subwoofer as he cranks up the volume.(no actual distortion measurements) In a test like this...the SV won't perform that well because as you near the tuning of the enclosure...the grille we use over the ports will cause noise at high outputs with test tones. This isn't a factor with any soruce material of course. I think HF said 107dB/20hz for the 16-46PC maxxed out...and 102dB/20hz was the max when he considered the port noise audible.
    If someone did consider this a problem...removing the grille and storing it would only take a minute or so [​IMG]
    Being within 3dB of the $1200(?) TN20/500w amp combo at 20hz seems ok for approx 2/3rd of the price...esp when you consider this is the powered 16-46.(not really meant to go head to head with a passive sub/500w seperate amp) I would like to see the 16-46cs/S700 combo against the TN20/500w amp...I think it would be a wash in many regards.
    Either way...it almost comes down to splitting hairs...as you know..the TN20 is a killer unit.
    TV

7. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I just recently purchased an SVS 20-39PC and I must say this thing kicks some serious butt. I looked around quite abit at other subs but couldn't find one that I liked and could afford (easy to find only 1 of these criteria however [​IMG] )I figured with the return policy I at least owed it to myself to give the SVS a try. I find myself listening to WAY more music now than I did before and using the sub with music which I never did with my old sub. I am not one to buy into alot of hype and resisted considering an SVS for so long because of all the hype- I thought it was maybe just good word of mouth because of TomV's and RonS's participation on this forum but that is not the case at all I am happy to report. Great sub, great price, great customer service, no regrets........

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

you're probably right jack...hey, you were due [​IMG]
    I'll see if I can dig up any older HF numbers on the TN20. I have a notebook scribbled with TN20/250w/20hz~107dB But I can't find the source of that note I made myself.
    TV

10. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

>>You wonder what Dr. Hsu can do with 12" and 250watts

11. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

OK, the HSU web site says that the TN subwoofers are inspired by the highly respected Tom Nousaine. Did Nousaine have anything to do with the design, etc. of these subwoofers???

12. SteveHood

SteveHood Agent

I just heard from Nigel Ponds at www.smr-home-theatre.org. They will be posting a review of the Adire Rava in the next few days.