Sub woofer cable troubles

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SteveHicks, Jan 7, 2004.

1. SteveHicks

SteveHicks Auditioning

Ok, I'm pretty new to home theaters and I'm trying to set up my first one. Here's the problem. My sub woofer can only accept two bare copper speaker wires in the back. My receiver, however, will only receive the sub woofer through a male connector. What can I do to solve this delemma? I have tried buying a two male ended speaker connection and clipping one end off to expose the speaker wires. Unfortunately, no sound comes out of the sub woofer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

2. John S

John S Producer

Your sub is not powered. You need an amplifier in bewteen your Sub Pre Out and your subwoofer.

Decent new 12" Powered Subs go for around $135
    Or do some searches on the AudioSource Amp/1A it works well using it bridged for subs. I found one for like $120 before xmas.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Does the sub have a 4 input and 4 output terminals, or just 2 input terminals?? If it has 4 ins and 4 outs, then want you want to do is connect it in-between your main speakers. Run the left/right speaker outputs from your amplifier to the appropriate inputs on the sub, then connect the outputs on the sub to the speakers.

Now you have to configure your receiver to specify the front main speakers as LARGE and the subwoofer as NO or OFF.

If there is only one set of inputs (2 terminals) on your sub, then John is correct - you'll need a seperate amp to power the sub.

4. SteveHicks

SteveHicks Auditioning

Are you saying the sub woofer needs a separate power source? I was under the impression it worked like the other speakers by simply connecting it to the receiver via speaker wire. I'm confused, sorry.

5. SteveHicks

SteveHicks Auditioning

The sub only has two input terminals. I was reading another similar thread and I think I'm starting to get it. Can I use my old Pioneer stereo receiver to act as an amp to the sub?