Sub woofer blues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rick bie, Oct 21, 2002.

1. rick bie

rick bie Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony WM40 subwoofer hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-405 receiver via the subwoofer pre-out jack on the back of the receiver. The problem seems to be that even with varied settings on the subwoofer the front speakers I have still seem to be trying to put out the bass that the subwoofer should be putting out with accompaning distortion.The subwoofer doesn't seem to be putting out that much bass even when I adjust the cut off frequency. If I adjust the level on the sub to max more bass comes thru but I don't believe that right.Should I try hooking up via the speaker terminals on the sub and the receiver. Here are the specs for my receiver:
    Continuous Power Output
    front 70w+70w(1kHz, .8%,8 ohm
    center 70w(1kHz, .8%,8 ohm
    rear 70w(1kHz, .8%,8 ohm
    Dynamic Power Output (2 ohms/4 ohms/8 ohms)
    170W/160W/130W
    I have not calibrated yetContinuous Power Output

2. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

I would start with calibrating first. It may be a case of your sub trim set too low. But without calibrating you won't be able to accurately troubleshoot your problem.

Matt

3. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

the pre out jack is the best method of connection. make sure the rest of your speakers are set to small the the receiver will route their bass to the sub.

4. rick bie

Unluckily my receiver doesn't appear to have any way to set speaker size, it just has settings for Studio,Simulated Surround,Dolby 3ch Logic and Dolby ProLogic Surround Sound which allows center speaker settings for normal,wide and phantom. The receiver is only 5 years old as well as everything else in my home theater.[​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like you need a new receiver for sure.

These specs:

6. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Huh? By itself, you cannot judge that 70w is "a very weak amp". I've heard 50w high-current amps that blow away every budget mass-market 110w 5.1 amp out there. The key is whether it can truly deliver 70w of pure, clean power or only 70w on a single channel at a single frequency and dB output.

Too many people here seem to poo-poo sub-100W receivers, when reality is there are many very high quality, low wattage units out there that are built with MUCH more quality that what you usually find at your local warehouse store. This is why you'll see some 80Wx5 receivers selling for over $700, and other 100Wx6 receivers selling for $299.

Rich

7. ben_fowler

ben_fowler Extra

A new receiver might be a best choice. However, if your receiver has sub pre-outs, then you should get at least a modicum of performance. Check this: Turn off all your main speakers so just the sub is hooked up and play a good bass CD. Are you hearing anything at all from the sub? If not, make sure the sub out on the receiver is activated. If you get sound from the sub, but you'd prefer more, turn the volume up on the sub. Any noticeable difference? Make sure and test it with various music selections. Bass level varies a lot from recording to recording.

8. ben_fowler

ben_fowler Extra

One other thing, once you do get the sub working well, placement of the sub is a key factor for great performance. The basic rule is if you want more bass put it in a corner. If it's too boomy then get it out of the corner. There a a few other guidelines. Here's a good, albeit complicated article on it...
    http://www.sonicdesign.se/subplace.html
    Cheers,

9. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

It's possible your expectations about how much bass you should be hearing are unusual. If your other speakers are full range and your receiver has a 80Hz crossover, there is lots of program material that should not even engage the subwoofer, simply because it doesn't have low bass in it.

It shouldn't be necessary to use a SPL to get at least roughly right results. I suggest you turn the sub's volume to the half-way point, set the crossover to some fairly high level, and start listening for boominess -- that is bass notes playing through both the sub and your other speakers. When you hear that, since it's undesirable, turn the crossover down a little. Listen some more, and repeat until the boom is gone.

Then listen critically to some music or effects with truly low bass and reevaluate the matter of whether the sub is giving you the bass you deserve.

10. John Garcia

John

11. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Oops, you are correct John! I missed the 1Khz spec there, and you are very correct that this is telling of low quality amps. Sorry to have jumped the gun on your post...

Rich

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Also on top of it it's an old, low end, mass market Pioneer, and not an Elite (I've owned one in the past, my first AVR but not the model currently being discussed). I'd advise buying a spl meter and Video Essentials and calibrate your system somewhat though I also believe you need to update your AVR simply because you deserve it (say to your significant other that online experts state you need to get a better model).[​IMG]

13. rick bie

Thanks for the info, as stated it is a low cost amp I fell into when I bought my system a couple years ago. I'll try the suggestions and also save for an amp, which brings me to the next question. Can I get a good amp for less then $500 and any suggestions? Unluckily my CD player is a Pioneer which came with a cable to hook it to the receiver so that they could share the same remote which is very convenient Once again Thanks you guy for the help.[​IMG]

14. John Garcia

John
    There are a number of good receivers in the

15. rick bie

Well guys, you made me do it! After reading up on it and checking past reviews and critiques in this site I went out and bought myself a Denon1803 for my birthday.I have not set it up yet as I want to go through the manual and also figure out how to explain to the girlfriend that actually I had to buy it to promote world peace and really its a investment in the future.[​IMG] Are there any tips you may have on this unit?
    Rick

16. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Good luck with your new Denon. They make great Recievers![​IMG]