Sub Woofer as an Amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Mitchell, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Will Mitchell

Will Mitchell Auditioning

Greetings,
    I am trying to determine the best way to configure my system and I need to know more about how to use my powered subwoofer as an amplifier.

First, my system (All Kenwood):

Reciever: KRF X9050D
    CD Player: CD 204
    DVD Player: DVF 3050
    Center: CS 620B
    R+L Speaker: LS V320B
    Surrounds: 620B (Tri-Poles)
    Sub Woofer: Sw505D

I am currently using monster-cable speaker cables and Hisago connections.

The reciever supports a "Sub-Woofer Out" Jack and it is a separately-Powered Subwoofer. The user's manual shows ways to run the speaker outputs through the subwoofer to use it as an amplifier, but does not identify which setup is ideal for which purposes.
    My apartment is acousticly horrendus, so I don't think I am getting the best sound to begin with. However, I used Avia and a sound meter to balance my speakers. The whole system sounds great. Honestly, it makes going to friends houses or clubs painful because I know how nice the sound could be-But I would like to know how else I can improve my sound.
    Last, although I notice that Kenwood is never really mentioned in this forum, I don't understand why it is not as respected as other brands. I really don't see why I need to drop that much more money on high-end components. Yet, everyone seems enamored with DVD players that cost $3,000 or more. What difference does such a component really make?
    I would like to know what advantages I can get out of using the woofer as an amp. I would need to get more speaker wire, so I hoped you all could help before I went and bought some more.

Thanks,
    Will

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    you cannot use your sub as an amp. the speaker terminals you see on it are for using the crossover built into your sub. basically, you run the L/R speakers thru the sub and it takes out all the bass below a certain level and sends the rest of the sound to the speakers. the amp inside the sub will ONLY power the sub.

kenwood isnt really regarded as respectable company due to their cheaper parts and poorer construction (when compared to many of the brands recommended here). i've taken many low end receivers apart, and the build quality in them is horrendous. the electronics and heatsinks used are far sub-par, and the sound shows it. there are many MANY better brands and components that will outperform your kenwood system, even around the same price point. while it isnt necessary to get a $3000 DVD player, spending $150-300 on one will get you a noticible improvement in both audio and video quality. same goes for speakers and the receiver.

however, and let me stress this point, if you are perfectly happy with your system, IGNORE WHAT I JUST SAID AND MOVE ON!! this hobby is expensive and addicting, and being happy is the most important thing. if you think you've found bliss with your kenwood system then click the X in the upper right hand corner and continue being happy. but if you really want to get into this hobby and watch your bank account drop quickly, post a few more times and you'll get drawn into our little world [​IMG]

3. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about Kenwood being known for lower par stuff. Maybe their cheap receivers are sub par (I have no experience with them) but their upper/middle of the line (say $950 and up, the 5080) to upper level stuff is pretty good from my experience. And unbeatable at the price point if you're real big on distributed AV.

Just IMHO.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Will,

I’ll echo what Thomas said. If you’re happy with what you have, then don’t worry about what anyone else thinks.

5. Will Mitchell

Will Mitchell Auditioning

Thanks for the info and reassurance. I definitely do not have the income required to be a "dedicated" enthusist. [​IMG] No problem there. Besides, I doubt I would ever get spousal approval on any major upgrades...

I take your answer about the subwoofer to mean that - by not running my left and right speakers through the subwoofer, I am not taking advantage of the equipment's crossover and slope adjustment options. But does the reciever do that already when I select the "Subwoofer On" option in the receiver's setup menu? Which component will manage base more effectively?

On the DVD Player, I am noticing the sound of the DVD disk spinning during extremely quiet points of movies. Will better players eliminate this? It is difficult for me to catch it in a store because of all of the other ambient noise.

Specifically, I have noticed a drop in sound frequency while playing some DVDs. The result is that the voices sound deeper and muted. It does not occurr in the same place when played again and I notice it more during extended use of the DVD Player. I think this may be due to overheating of my system, but I cannot be sure because it doesn't happen on all media. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Thanks again for your assistance,

Will