What's new

Sub-woof or not - any suggestions which? (1 Viewer)

KamW

Auditioning
I have a set of tower speakers (ENERGY Connoisseur CE) 5 years vintage. My yamaha 1400 receiver is set to play stereo (I have the 2 tower speakers only for now) but the cd music audio is so weak the 110W-per-channel sounds like 60w-max at best. The base is virtually non-existent.

I am thinking that while I await cash-flow improvements next year, a sub-woofer would warm things up a bit. Any suggestions for a reasonable type-size to begin with. Is my logic in the right direction that a medium-level sub-w might help for the moment? Medium level in the sense that I never want the house or the walls to quake or even boom - just nice sound. FYI: my room is about 16X20ft by 9ft high, carpetted, and mainly dry walls with 3 lage openings on one side one of which a stair well. Ideas much appreciated. I am a newbie as you will have guessed.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My room is ~19 x 20 with high vaulted ceilings and I am using a HSU VTF-2. Plenty of kick and enough rumble without agitating the neighbors. If you tune it to 32Hz, it will be great for music, but I leave it set to 25Hz.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Look at Velodyne CHT-series (at Circuit City). Velodyne makes subs that have excellent music quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks