Sub with speaker level connections and LFE question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I'd like to run my mains as large and use the speaker level connection on my subs to my mains(I have two identiical 12 "250 watts subs) one next to each main speakers.

Can I connect my mains using the subs speaker level connections and set the mains to large and at the same time run my .1 LFE cable from my receiver to the subs with a splitter. My receiver allows a "large" setting with a dedicated LFE channel at the same time.

Essentially I would have the subs handling the crossover for the mains(40hz) and still have a sub cable going into each subs LFE with a splitter. I'd be using each subs speaker level connections and their LFE input at the same time. Can I do this? I'm asking because my mains go down to 40hz, but my receivers crossover is fixed at 80hz.

Thanks

Legairre

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Legairre, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that....the only thing I can think of is, are the speaker level inputs on your subs automatically disabled when a line level connection is detected? I doubt it but I've never tried it so I don't know....maybe someone else can answer more definitively.

Good luck,

Vin

3. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

I think most sub manufacturers do not recommend running low level RCA and high level speaker connections at the same time,mine doesn't.Check your subs manual or with the manufacturer,finding out the hardway (damaged sub)wouldn't be fun.

4. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Jimmy,

Your right. The manual says not to do it. Oh well, it was just a thought.

Thanks guys for your help.