What's new

Sub with 2 channel music (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of speakers with built in subs that just do not have enough bass for my large room.

If I buy a sub like an SVS, how is the system configured to use that during regular 2 channel music?

I have a pioneer XXX-26 Elite 5.1 receiver, but don't remember ever seeing anything about this form of setup.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Usually if you have the subwoofer set to "on" or "yes" using the "stereo" sound output should make em work together along with PLII or other DSP modes you may have. If you have a "direct" mode, that would usually bypass the sub.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to say, and I don't have the time at the moment to search for the manual for your receiver, but look through that and it should tell you. Sometimes its quite baffling the way those things are explained (see the poor japanese translation in my marantz manual, I ended up just asking the dealer and we tested it in person to see what was going on before I bought it, and afterward, it made sense!), but it should tell you what goes on with the bass.

And not sure, I've heard others with different marantz receivers say the same as wayne, that in S-direct, that the sub output is off altogether, but not so on mine (sr5300).

in s-direct, there is no bass management applied, and with stereo source (digital or analog) a full-bandwidth signal from the main channels is sent to the sub. So both mains are getting the full signal, and then you enable the crossover on the sub, and blend it up to match the extension of your mains, to taste (or to measurement if you wanna be more exact with response).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks