sub vs cubic feet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe rizzuto, Sep 28, 2002.

1. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i have a small dedicated ht room. the cubic footage is about 1000. what size sub would you suggest for this size room.[​IMG]
    ok, so that's like 10x12x8 = 960 cu. feet in my room.
    so is a 10 in. driver with a 65 watt amp ok? peak is 220 watt. [​IMG]
    btw - i did do a search. it would seem this sub would be ok in my room but i was hoping for some fresh insights.
    oh well...

2. joe rizzuto

52 views and not one comment, wow.
    is this a really basic question and i'm missing something?
    :b

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It's tough to say without knowing more about the sub, what type of levels you'd like to achieve and your budget.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

As long as it's related to a "sub" Dustin and I will usually post something even if it doesn't help. [​IMG]
    That sub "may" be suitable but don't think that just because your room is small that a small sub is better. I would suggest a single tempest for a room that size. (I have 2 tempests = 15" subwoofers powered by 280 watts each for my room)
    My room is 10ft x 11ft x 8ft high. That's 880 cubic feet in my room. The bass isn't overkill at all, it's actually clean and MUCH improved now that I've added acoustic panels. I couldn't believe how much better the bass is now that the panels are in. I wasn't really expecting my bass to change but it did and it's no longer noticeably boomy during certain movie scenes.
    LINK to room.
    Oops back to topic, My "guess" is that you're looking at a max of about 100 decibels with 65 watts and a 10" driver. Another guess is that your sub only extends to about 35-40hz. That won't exactly give you anything deep or loud unless it gains from the box or room and sounds loud and boomy.
    You're room, like mine sucks out the 50hz band from the center of the room which would remove your deepest bass extension. hehe -- If you're trying to achieve deep/loud bass for home theater then look elsewhere. If you want a sub that can add some extension to your mains for music enjoyment then that 10" would be enough.
    Of course everything I posted is assumption as you've posted no links or info.

5. joe rizzuto

ok, maybe my initial post wasn't very fair or at least not too chocked full of info. the original question came to me while i was reading some sub related threads from a search i did. it seemed that some people used the cubic footage of a room in deciding which sub to buy.
    i already have a psb sub, the alpha 5, in my room. i have calibrated all the speakers and am absolutely amazed at the quality of sound. this is the first time i have had a room for only ht/music, and the increase in quality, from using the living room or basement, is unbelievable. the room only has one door and , except for a small window, has no other openings. i have heavy drapes on one wall, a rug on another wall and heavy drapes surrounding the tv and my front speakers placed in front of those drapes.
    anyway, the sub is a step up from a smaller yamaha that put out very little - both quantity & quality wise. my experience has been very positive to date. the psb is loud, clean and low. most movies sound great and i am amazed at how much bass i had been missing in my music.
    my question came about in wondering if i was getting the 'full meal deal' with my alpha 5 or if another, larger more powerful sub might give me even more. and do i really need more? i'm not sure i would want louder. cleaner and lower are good though.(I think?)
    hence the question and desire for more insights from those who are higher up the evolutionary ladder - h/t wise, that is.
    thanks for the info so far and please feel free to educate me.:b

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well I'd say you are missing the last octave with that sub for sure. Never heard it, but with a tuning just under 40hz and an enclosure that small it wouldn't be high on my list of budget subs.

Something like an Adire Rava [$399] (Dharman [$599] might be more than you want to spend), Hsu VTF2 [$450] or SVS 25-31PCi [$550] would be a noticable improvement.

If you have the tools and basic wood working skills building your own is also loads of fun and the highest price/performance ratio available.

7. joe rizzuto

have no woodworking skills, in fact others have paid me to stay away. one friend asked me to help destroy his deck so he and his other friend could build a new one.

alpha 5 stats -
    freq. range - 30-150hz
    amp. - 65watts continuous
    110 dynamic
    220 peak
    spl 107db
    internal vol 1.01
    size 12 3/8 x 16 1/2 x 14 "

i guess i will start listening to some other subs, although i'm in no hurry ($$$) and see if i can hear a difference. any subs that you would recommend that are available in western canada (edmonton). i doubt if i would buy one thru the net.
    and thanks for the info.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Likely more than you want to spend. But the Paradigm PW2200 and the Mirage BPS400 would be on my short list in Canada. 20-30 percent off the full retail price in the store shouldn't be hard to get on either.