Sub Volume

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Dec 31, 2001.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Where do you guys usually put your volume at on your sub? I put mine roughly in the middle, and if I want more thump, I go with a lower Output lvl...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Abel,

The volume settings on a sub are essentially meaningless as a reference from one model to the next. For instance, the halfway mark on a Brand “X” 500-watt 15” sub will not get the same output as a 60-watt 8-incher from Brand “Y.”

So you can see, sub volume is relative. The sub’s level setting also takes into consideration the setting of the receiver’s “Sub Out” level control, not the mention the size and power of the sub and the size of the room.

For instance, if someone has that 500-watt 15” sub in their bedroom system, it will probably be set pretty low, while the dinky 60- watt 8-incher in a 6000 cubic ft. combination living room/dining room/kitchen area will probably have it cranked all the way up.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Thanx Wayne, yet I knew that [​IMG] I was asking out of curiousity of what people like more bass or boom, boom?? That's all!

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

It even depends on the room surfaces. If you have concrete the sub may seem tighter. If you have carpeting and lots of cushy furniture, the bass may seem boomier and less tight because of the sound absorption going on.

5. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

I perceive that the question you are asking is really "how loud do people prefer the subwoofer compared to the other speakers?
    This can only be accurately measured using a sound level meter (Radio Shack has 'em). In theory, all channels (FR, FL, C, SR, SL, and Sub) should be calibrated to the same volume using test signals sent to one channel at a time.
    However, assuming a 75 or 85dB test signal, most home theater enthusiasts seem to like the sub to be about 3-6dB louder than the other channels.
    --Steve
    "But mine goes to 11."

6. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Since this is a home theater forum. It should be set to the same level as the rest of your speakers according to an accurate SPL meter. However, it is your HT so indulge. I don't have my sub set to 75db as are the others. It is slightly higher. I like it that way [​IMG][​IMG]