What's new

sub volume level (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

We need to be clear that this is specific to the PE amplifiers, as I've seen a hundred cases which work with other products. My advice on calibration has been pretty common on this forum for more than 3 years- and I have seen many many people come back and not only be able to calibrate just fine, but prefer the sound of their system after doing so.

Today I calibrated a system using an Advent 505s which has a Carver Sunfire plate amplifier, and ran the sub essentially full bore (this sub for some reason hummed once you hit the top 5% of the volume knob- something funky in the pot I guess, so it's at 95%) and the system was still easily able to be calibrated.

I would say that we should be careful to be clear, just because one particular plate amplifier would be too high at full level- doesn't necessarily mean this is an absolute. I have seen many (and read about even more) that worked fine.

-V

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Ryan, can you expand on this desire a little. I'm curious the reasoning for not wanting to run the receiver at the bottom of the range-- my first Pioneer HT receiver showed measurable clipping on bass peaks at -1 on the sub output!
What does -1 mean? If the range was -20 to 0 and you were driving up to reference levels then I'm impressed you could push it up so high. On my receiver the sub level range is like -30 to +10 so -1 is about 3/4 of the way up. And I never turn it up past 5dB below Ref so that's 5dB of headroom right there.

I agree with you whole-heartedly about keeping the signal below clipping. That's definately the way to go. And assuming you're not pushing into clipping, I can see two advantages to running the receiver's sub out above minimum. The first advantage is keeping your plate amp from automatically shutting down in the middle of a movie. The second is signal to noise ratios.

If I'm running a 50mV signal to the sub and I pick up 2mV of noise along the way that's 4% of the whole signal. But if I'm running a 100mV signal to the sub and pick up 2mV of noise that's only 2% of the whole. Then I can use the sub's gain control to cut that signal in half and get 50mV of signal and 1mV noise.

BTW, I haven't tried it but I doubt I could run the plate amp on my SVS wide open and still calibrate.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

If I understand correctly the power on/off feature is based upon a signal input, and I would assume it is post sub preamp stage (since I think you mentioned above turning the sub volume up made the power on/off more sensitive).

This would seem to operate on the same priciple you applied above- no matter how the combination of sub output/sub input- in two situations where you have the exact smae voltage coming in- it shouldn't matter if it's pushed by the receiver or the sub preamp stage...

And in terms of S/N ratio- this is an element- however on material band limited at 125hz (and most mising under 80hz)- the appearance of noise is a whole different beast- and certainly not nearly an issue as a full range signal (in fact, that's why the LFE signal can boosted 10db without worry of boosting the noisefloor of the playback format).

Again- there are pluses and minuses to almost any configuration- and I would suggest there are serious pluses to the config I've mentioned in several configurations. So, the best bet is to try it. If it doesn't work- well feel free to throw it out the window.

-Vince

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I meant to say that I have 5dB more headroom than a guy who listens at ref because I never turn it up that loud. I knew that wasn't real clear when I wrote it but I didn't bother to elaborate. Sorry.

And in terms of S/N ratio- this is an element- however on material band limited at 125hz (and most mising under 80hz)- the appearance of noise is a whole different beast- and certainly not nearly an issue as a full range signal
Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. You're right - most of the noise picked up along the way will be higher frequencies that get filtered out by the low-pass filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks