Sub Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by nodave3d, Mar 2, 2005.

1. nodave3d

nodave3d Auditioning

This is my first post after reading this very informative forum the past few months. Recently I upgraded my reciever from a Sony HTIB with a Pioneer 1014tx which is connected to the Sony 5.1 speakers with a 100 watt 8" sub. Trying to get a bit more cleaner bass so I was wondering if the Dayton 10" would be that much of an upgrade over the Sony?

Thanks

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

The Tiny Mighty (Dayton 10") will be an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade in your room I'm not sure. Did you mod the Sony at all? Many with the Sony (the larger 10' or 12") added some stuffing to reduce some of the boominess. The Tiny Mighty is a great little sub but it's not a pb10. Some here felt that the Sony (with mods) was close to the Tiny Mighty (w/o mods) but many others still felt that the Tiny beat the Sony hands down. Keep in mind, I am talking the larger Sony versus the Tiny rather than your 8", so I'm sure you're talking upgrade.

3. nodave3d

nodave3d Auditioning

Thanks for info never modded sub thinking about building one though just looking at all alernatives

4. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

"which is connected to the Sony 5.1 speakers with a 100 watt 8" sub. Trying to get a bit more cleaner bass so I was wondering if the Dayton 10" would be that much of an upgrade over the Sony? "

It's an upgrade. The degree of upgrade depends on your room and your expectations.

David

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I'm going to build a sub for my cousin. He's looking for a used woofers such as a used Shiva or Quatro and then maybe even a used amp- I told him to do this is just to keep the price down. Another member here posted that he used a Dayton 10" and a 150w amp from partsexpress.com and is very happy with his little sub. Good luck!

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

My new Dayton is a Def. step up from my old HK 8" 75. Tighter, deeper, more punch!